Chopaka?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Wes Neuenschwander, May 27, 2013.

1. Wes Neuenschwander New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Planning on heading up to Chopaka in a few days and wondered what the fishing conditions have been recently, and also what the driving conditions have been on the grade. A report on this forum a while back suggested that there might be logging activity ramping up on the mountain, which can make negotiating the grade "interesting".
  2. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    That was my posting from three weeks ago. I don't have any current information.

Trees were felled, however, I did not see any skidding equipment along the road.

Sign at the bottom said CB Channel 10 for monitoring.

I think you can get past most of the logging by heading up the Toats Coulee route instead of the grade.

Logging trucks just add a little adventure to your trip!! It is even more fun if your towing.
  3. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Last week the weather was from bad to terrible (I stayed in the truck Wed.) and the fishing was outstanding. Small green leeches, damsel nymphs, GRHE, scuds, and adams were the flies of choice.
  4. searundoc New Member

Vashon Island, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Wes, I was there 4/27-29 and 5/9-19. The road is fine, graveled and graded half way, but still worthy of being treated with respect. The fishing was great. Callebaetis every day. The damsels should be going by now.

Cindy
  5. dbk Active Member

Spokane, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Wes- tried sending you a PM but it would not go through... maybe your inbox is full?
  6. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Hi Wes spoke to Hall the other day and sounds like you're all set, you lucky sod and very sorry i can't make it. Good luck and you can tell me all about it over a beer when you get back, I may get the chance to hit Lone,whoop, whoop, bastard :)

Dave
  7. Wes Neuenschwander New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks Vladimir. I expect we will just slog up the grade, as usual, unless we see any trucks coming down along the way. We've done the grade (and the Toats Coulee road as well) for the last 20 years or so and, if anything the grade road keeps getting a little wider and better every year. Ironically, the only time I've had to deal with logging trucks was my very first trip to Chopaka. We stopped at the General Store (long gone now) and they advised us, that absent any CB radio (which was indeed the case), to just wait at the bottom until a truck (or several, apparently they ran in mini-convoys) came down and then beat it up the grade. Supposedly, you would have at least 30 minutes before the next truck or trucks headed down. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait long, since just as we turned off the highway onto Toats Coulee Road, 3 trucks came down the grade. We headed up right after them, and didn't see another truck - or any sign of active logging - the entire way to the lake. Must have caught the last loads of the day.