Christmas Island photos

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Saltwater Fly Shack, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Saltwater Fly Shack

Saltwater Fly Shack New Member

Hey guys, I just joined up and thought what better way to introduce myself than a few pics from my last trip!

I took the long trip out to Christmas Island in the Pacific back in April. I can firmly say it is amongst the best fishing locations in the world. I caught 10 species in 5 days of fishing, and totalled about 113 fish.

I had a total of 28 GTs - yes, 28! The largest was 50lb, and I had two at 40lb and three at 30lb.
    I had a 10lb+ Bonefish and a couple around 8lb. The average size Bone was very high, probably 3lb or so.
    I also had a 62lb Wahoo - an incredible fish!

Here are some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

That is one damn fine introduction! Welcome, and thank you for sharing that series of sun and beauty.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Damnit, now I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard. Thanks a lot!

Welcome! Thanks for sharing the pics. Some day I have got to get down and do some fishing down south. I can only imagine how amazing that must be. The way I see it, I have about 10-12 years until my 8 year old goes in the first round of the NFL draft. I'm counting on doing many exotic fishing trips after that.

Nick

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

That's my number one "have to" destination for the past twenty years. One of these days I'm going to get there and the reason is obvious from the pics. Thanks for sharing.

5. klintd

klintd Member

Thinking I should make this my number one "have to" location. Welcome, thanks for the sharing.

6. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Man - do I want to play with a GT - very cool!!
    Thanks for sharing!

7. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

wow, very awesome. hard to believe there is fish that big in that shallow water. what rods,reels and lines were you using? Any rods broken? thanks for posting.

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Very cool pics, thanks for sharing.

9. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Dang...After seeing this report I just informed the wife that the next vacation she would have to be alone in Hawaii while I'm at Xmas island. She was fine with that. Gotta love that woman.
    By the way what weight rod for the GT's?

10. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Sweet photos, thanks for sharing. What do you think that big bone weighed?

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Those photos and fish are truly magnificent! Thanks for sharing!

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Wow. That is absolutely nuts.! Thanks for sharing. now that my jaw is still open I better grab a beer to drown my sorrows and find out when I can get down there!! Hopefully before I die!

13. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Or really soon just after!!!

14. tyinandcryin

tyinandcryin New Member

Great pix! Thanks!

15. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Awesome pics. Xmas Ilse is my favorite spot on this planet. I have been there 4 times. I haven't achieved your level of success but I've enjoyed every exiciting trip. Christmas Island is the best value for Bonefish available, especially for west coast fly fishers like myself. I've also been to Belize 3 Times but the fishing is not as pristine, wading is harder due to the muddy bottom, plus it costs more, it's harder to get there and last time I was there my wife and I were robbed at gun point. As soon as I can I'll be back to Christamas Island. I love the place!

16. Saltwater Fly Shack

17. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Let me know if you need another crew member!

18. Saltwater Fly Shack

How many bags of luggage can you lift :)

19. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

All of them, just not at once. And I promise ill only bring 1 bag for myself.

20. Saltwater Fly Shack

Sorry DB, really looking for someone with a bit more muscle :rofl: