Chronies and High alipine lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Caveman, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Caveman Member

N/A
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Iwas just wondering how effective Chironomids are up in the mountain lakes? I have fished up there all my life but never used Chronies.

Adam
  2. 509 New Member

WENATCHEE, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That's a good question. Most high mountain are fairly sterile, without mud bottoms where chromies like to live. I suppose there are probably some lakes where they would work.....I have a couple of suspects that I might have to check out.
  3. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    You can use chironomids in high lakes with success. People use griffiths gnats a lot in the high lakes. I think the reason most people don't do it is because your rarely need an exact imitation. ANd most people would rather fish a moving fly that cast and sit there.
  4. Caveman Member

N/A
    That makes sense. I have used dries up there and buggers. The past few years I have seen how affective chronies can be and I think they would work good up there. I think I will try it this year on a few of my hikes.

Thanks,

Adam
  5. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Adam,
    Many of the high lakes have good populations of scuds more so than cronies. If you are staying over night, fish scuds crony style around cover (log jams,rock slides, etc.) and you should do well. I've caught some of my largest high lake trout this way.
    Scott
  6. Caveman Member

N/A
    THat is a great idea. What color scuds?
  7. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    scuds blend in with the background. Generally they will live in weedy lakes so olive is always a good color. Other colors to try are tan, grey, orange, and pink.