Chukar report

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by bushwacker, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I went over to the Methow last week on our annual steelhead trip. I left Seattle Wednesday planning to fish Wednesday afternoon and Thursday and Chukar hunt Friday. Got one Steely on Wednesday and nothing Thursday. Driving over from Wenatchee to Pateros I was checking out the side roads off the highway that looked like they might have chukar potential. I spent Friday morning driving up one after another, only to find every access posted. I used to think that while Washington pheasant hunting had become a private enterprise, you could always find public land to hunt chukars. It's getting harder and harder to do. Friday afternoon I tried going up the Colockum road only to find the same thing. I ended up hunting the WDFW Colockum wildlife area. Finally got some birds near dusk, only to have my dog continuing to hunt into the dark. Darn near lost him. Imagine hiking up those steep basalt side-hills with a flashlight whistling for your dog.

On the other hand, if it were too easy, we wouldn't bother to do it.
  2. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    It is hard to find good public land for birds. Any well know public land gets a ton of pressure and birds are few and far between. I have been finding little pieces of state land that look promising this year that see little pressure. I also noticed people are getting lazier every year, so places with no roads are very productive. Tight lines.
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Almost all the land along the Columbia is private, but if ya look on the right maps you will find public land, also you should start your hunting season (hunting for places to hunt) early, like now for next year.
    Drop me a PM next time and I'll try to help ya out.
  4. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    bushwacker- shoot me a PM if you want to talk about access to chukars around wenatchee/chelan/colockum...
  5. jkold Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Gary - what maps are you speaking of that will show public lands?
  6. seekm chris

edmonds
    Ratings: +5 / 0