Chum baby

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 0
    Played around with tying some chum babies today. I wanted to use a standard bead head but didn't have the right stuff so i tied a few with bead chain eyes. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Tool Fly Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    No, this is not how it's done. Once someone stumbles onto a workable pattern, it must be respected and revered without any deviation whatsoever. Though this fly LOOKS perfectly scrumptious and a likely cutt slayer, it is simply wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Kidding aside, that suckah looks quite tasty and to my eye, a likely improvement in the theme. Let us know how you do!
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  3. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    here are the ones that i use for chum fry. IMGP0612.JPG
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  4. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +255 / 2
    I dont think they will mind the bean chain eyes, you could probably even add heavier eyes if you wanted more weight. I just use olive\white or black\white clousers for chum fry imitation :\
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  5. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +234 / 0
  6. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +467 / 0
    I remember that one Kelvin..... I have a few in my box from last year, and while we're on the subject I'll stick my experiment from last year in as well, if no one cares, it also worked quite well but I doubt any better than the rest.

Gary, I also tied a few a couple weeks ago using bead chain as you did, I have no doubt they will work equally as well.

DSCN1709 08-16-11.JPG
  7. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 0
    Mark, thanks and that is a damn tasty fly. Unfortunately i don't have the skill or materials to tie that.
  8. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    looks like its just some olive maribou, white bucktail, a hackle feather and a black magic marker(thats how i do it since i dont have any fancy striped feathers!), and as far as the epoxy head goes I just use the loon UV stuff and it is pretty easy. I tried the 2 part epoxys and stuff and they are way cheaper and you get a lot more but I just make a mess with them.

And I really do like the pattern Mark, I have already started playing around with copying it. I will have to get some wet this weekend and see what the fish think. :D
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  9. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks Gary and Kcahill you're right on with the materials, and is a very simple tie. You really don't have any grizzly hackle? I thought every one had a few of those lying around? The head is a gold bead with stick on eyes and covered with loon hard head but I did some with just epoxy as well.
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  10. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    Here are a few of the original pattern, and you can find them at the Orvis Bellevue fly shop now. Experimentation and creativity are at the heart and spirit of successful fly tying and fly fishing. There are some nice examples of that posted above here. But these are the original pattern "Little Stone's Chum Baby" fly, which I originated. Just for an example. Shown here tied on Daiichi Stainless Steel Hook #2546, size #6. Barbs are crushed when tying.

52 Chum Babys 2-13 004.JPG

http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I try to tie 'em like Bob does. The originals I got from him have worked well, whenever I've used them. I did tie some up with some chartreuse dyed squirrel tail, though. They came out really bright.
    I'm going to get on some chum fry patterns this week. I'm going outside to enjoy the day, and maybe even going lake fishing tomorrow., where I can drift-troll with my 3-weights and work on my southpaw casting technique. Right arm still no good. Probably going ambidextrous, in leiu of cortisone.
    Ben Guss, Jeff Dodd and Bob Triggs like this.
  12. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Bob, I really like those and a bit different than some of the one's I've seen tied. They are a little fuller than I expected and fuller then the one's I tie but look very good. I'll probably start messing around with some new idea's now that the time grows nearer.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  13. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I got out and tossed some original chum babys for a couple of hours this morning, looked fishy, perfect morning, and the tides were right but I don't think the fish around here read the tide forecasts.:(
  14. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    Mark, That little fry pattern of yours is very similar to one we use in Alaska, on the Iliamna and Katmai area tributaries, called: "The Reverend", and it should be a very effective fly for your sea run fishing. It works for me here too.
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  15. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Here's one I tied up. Should probably be a little smaller, but I figured it doubles as a sand lance.

[IMG]
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  16. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    DSC03563.JPG DSC03676.JPG View attachment 25114 For those tying up various types of chum fry patterns, here are a few photos I took last year at a seining on Colvos Passage.[H][/ATTACH]
    Ben Guss and Bob Triggs like this.
  17. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    oh let the little guy go

so he can get eaten
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  18. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    Done.
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  19. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    chum fry.JPG

on its way to the beach
  20. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Good one! I may have to attempt some copies of that, Kelvin. Also, Mark Mercer's creation also looked like a good representation.
    Thanks for sharing!