Chum Chum Chum Chum

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Rob Ast, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    getting the permit is fairly intuitive- it's the Killpatricks house - before you would cross the creek - light green paint, signs are down on the trail as well. The front door is the door by the weeping willow (not the side door with concrete steps). They are VERY obliging people so please be sure to thank them for access to this special fishery, and pick up any garbage you may find. I bet Joyce would appreciate some flowers! I forgot to take her some when I got my permit.

As you know, these fish run hard and should be chased with an 8wt and above minimum - there is not enough room to mess around letting them run into your backing and create havoc among the rest of the fisherman. Work them fast and hard for a safe release. These fish will strike flies agressively- do not set up everytime you feel a bump- if you do feel pressure slowly raise your rod and see what's what...there are so many fish that accidental bumps from swimming fish are common.

2. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Oh my! The folks who think nymphing is not fly fishing will shit a brick on this down rigger technique :eek:

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    eeps, best you don't post this info,you got it Tim, LOL

4. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Media:
    Home Page:
    Man, I would LOVE to catch a 16 inch sailfish!!!
    I'd get it stuffed (it's all I could probably afford) and hang it above my desk at work.
    You don't think that would make my prized University of Montana diploma :rolleyes: look too insignificant, do you?

Just kidding. I don't have a desk.
    I don't even really work. . .
    :rofl:

5. aetmuif

aetmuif Luth

I've smoked some awful looking chums - they taste great. MiddleForker hit the nail on the head. All he forgot was the roaring fire and a hottie that likes to fish as much as me.

Can it get better than that??

6. myflysdown

myflysdown Member

Hi Everyone,
    Have to brag just a little. This 11/03 was my B-day. A friend of mine, my Nine year old son, and I were out fishing for Steel head, when my son hooked into his first fish on a fly rod. The fish took off like it was shot out of a gun, the reel handle slammed my sons fingers hard. He had to fight back the tears, but did so and landed the fish with the hook in the fishes mouth, after about a Five minute fight on his 5wt. The fish was about 13-15lb. chrome bright Chum Salmon. Talk about a B-day present that I will always remember!!! VM.

7. Salmo_Gairdneri

Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

Only once.

At most.

-T

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    :beer2:

9. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

Nice job!! You don't look 69!!!:)

10. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Been gone out of state for a couple weeks. So wondering if the chum run is over or not. Would like to take another shot at them if they are still running.

Mike

11. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Minter is the only thing going on that I know of. Good qty too, but minimum fly room..

12. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Chico is still pretty hot, lots of fish not as aggressive as they were even a week ago but still there is action to be had. The nets have gone up though so the numbers of fish will go down, its pretty late in the run for them to be netting I would think but maybe they know something I don't, it has been a very good year.
    tony