Chum fly pattern anyone?

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Caveman, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Caveman

Caveman Member

I am looking for a good chum patttern to use in the rivers. What colers, sizes should I use.

Thanks,

Caveman

2. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

I tie several flies for chums. I tie them all on a Mustad 34007 hook (I'm pretty sure that's the one) in sizes 2 and 4. One is simply a fly with a chartreuse chenile down the shank, then a blue shlapen hackle that extends to the back of the hook. Another good fly is the same body, but with a chartreuse malard flank hackle.

Chums aren't too picky about what flies you throw at them. Some good colors for chums are chartreuse (by far the best), pink, and forest green.

Hope this helps

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chartruese Comets, Hoodsport Specials, and Chartruese marabou flies will get the job done. They key in on colors, so as long as it is chartruese it will work.

Chris

4. Caveman

Caveman Member

Thanks for the info.

Caveman

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is my most successful chum fly. Probably because it's the one I use the most. LOL. Tie it in a variety of colors (goes with the above "comet" fly). But use a floss underbody with a clear ribbing overlay (adds a bit of translucence). But this particular combo is my "go to" with chums. First started fishing it back in the very late 70's/extreme early 80's for chums and haven't looked back since.
    [​IMG]

6. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

Media:
    Nice looking simple and stout pattern Jerry. I just tied my first ever couple of tube flies and mimic'd your pattern on them. Not quite as tidy looking, one colour change I used purple polar bear for the tail as I always have good luck with purple on our Squamish chum fisher, that and lead eyes.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Happy, I've tied them up in quite the variety of colors, including adding purple instead of black. Hell, can't count the number of ways I've tied them. I've also tied them on tubes, but still used the bead chain eyes, but used copper or aluminum tubes to sink it faster. It's a great pattern, and will also take Steelhead if they're in the river at the same time. I love simple effective patterns. Makes losing them all the easier. Good luck using them.

8. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

In low clear water try some of your favorite patterns in pink.

I know the book says any color works as it is charteuse, chartreuse, or chartreuse but side by side testing over a number of years found that in very clear water situations pink typically outfished chartreuse roughly 3 to 1. In those conditions comet type flies in pink has been the ticket. Though in rivers I like my flies without the beadeyes - easier to cast and to fish above the chums. Like them sizes 8 to 4s (regular lenght shank).

For a change of pace try something large and ugly in black and/or purple - something in the 3 - 4 inch range. While the smaller pink or chartreuse flies will take more fish swing/swimming the uglies above the pack will often trigger the biggest/baddest boy in the bunch.

Tight lines
    Curt

10. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Curt, great advice.

I have found that the pattern Les Johnson suggested in another post, the emerald green flashabou comet is my go-to Chum fly. I tie it on size 4 - 8 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks with a small chrome eye. I also carry the fly in black, purple, pink, and orange. Sometimes when all that they are seeing is chartreuse, a different color can trigger a strike.

Thanks for sharing, Steve

11. Blake

Blake Member

I stuck a nice chum today in the salt on a small cerise and white fly. They wouldn't touch chartreuse. We got some other bumps on orange.

12. livetofish

livetofish Fish to Live

A buddy and I had an fun day a couple of years ago in the salt in the South Sound where the ticket to fish was large black string leeches stripped sloooowly near the bottom.:eek: Haven't been able to repeat it, but it was interesting. The point being, don't be afraid to switch it up on those lockjaw days!

13. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jerry I tied up a bunch of those flies of yours I am hoping to put it to the test in the next couple of days...

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Very cool, good luck. Take Curt's advice too. I thought I had put that color combo's up, but just said that was my "go to" color, which it is. But pink with while collar has been a hit as well (usually a pink tail with pink body). Also an all black has been hot in clearer waters.

Curt, I don't like heavy flies either. Pain to cast. Why I usually use lighter bead chain. I like a little weight on the downturned eyes to help roll it over. Less likely to snag fish. Also agree with the bigger fly thing (shhhh, most of these guys don't believe these fish will take a big fly LOL). I started tying up an Intruder in purple, chartruese, and orange to mimic a K16 kwikfish that KILLS chums on the satsop. Funny how that king plug was just slaying them. So started tying those things up and have worked great.

15. Hywel

Hywel New Member

An old-timer once told me, "You can spear a lime green or pink colored dog turd on a hook and catch Chum."

I guess it was his way of saying that tying a fly for Dog Salmon ain't exactly rocket science.

*g*

Hywel

16. Caveman

Caveman Member

wow, great info. Thanks a lot.

Caveman

17. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

Jerry, do you swing that fly or fish it under an indicator? Anybody have any thoughts on which is more effective for chums?

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    I swing it on a short leader on a sinktip (usually a type III). Those eyes aren't that heavy, so more turn the fly over (putting the hookpoint up) then drop it like a rock.

Both would be effective for chums (say if you use heavier lead eyes with a floating line/indicator). I just hate casting heavily weighted flies, so prefer the sinktip method over chuck and duck.

19. sturgeon crazy

sturgeon crazy Member

My favorite fly is a green G-string. I tied these commercially for Alaska for years but never seen any down here ever. Ask any fly shop for them and you will get a funny look. I would tie about 10,000 a year in pink (silvers) and green (chums). I started fishing them on the Kilchis and was amazed at how far fish would move for them, sometimes having multiple fish race to get it. It is extremely easy to tie once you figure it out. I don't have a picture but there is one I tied in the most recent chum fly swap gallery, it is on the far right in the first row. AWESOME FLY.
    SC

20. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:

Give us a little tutorial on to tying the sequins, the rest is easy.

Daryle