Chum Fry Patterns?

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by mdjm66, Feb 25, 2005.

1. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Media:
    Hi there:

I have been browsing the patterns and there are some amazing tyers on this site.

I am going to be chasing some cutthroat on Sunday, and rumor has it, with the warm weather that the chum fry are starting to emerge.
    Anyone care to share a pattern or two with us?

I would post pics of my patterns, but, the ole digital does not have a macro setting :(

Thanks in advance

Dean

2. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    Look up Bob Triggs' chum baby pattern on this site. It is a simple and straightforward fly to tie. It works too!

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

If you have an opportunity to get a peek at Thomas P. Quinn's new book, The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout (U of W Press, 2005, I just received a review copy yesterday, I'm not sure it's in the stores yet), take a look at the photos of both pink and chum fry. It gives a good idea of the right colors and proportions. I haven't had time to do more than flip through it yet, but it looks very interesting.

4. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    That book is in the University Bookstores. I went to the launch of the book, and he gave a great talk about how much there is still yet to be learned on the subject. But yes... great pictures, and a good (albeit a little dry) book!