chum gear

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpocket, Oct 18, 2002.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    The last few years I've gone after chums on tradition levelwinder gear but this time I'm gonna try for 'em on the real stuff. I've been amassing a stockpile of equipment:
    9' 8-9wt LL Bean "Big Bass" rod
    disc drag Eddie Bauer reel w/Rio multi-tip in 9wt

I've never seen anyone else using LL Bean or EB fly equipment (go ahead and have a chuckle) but I got a great deal on it. I think the setup is around 10 yrs old but has seen little use. I figure if my gear gets trashed by a marauding chum warlord, so be it. Anyway . . .what are the basic assortment of flies I should have? Will a few marabous in various colors and weights cover it?

Thanks!
    rod :LOVEIT

2. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    oops

accidentally posted twice.

3. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have only fished for them on the sky. I know what color they like there. If you are interested I can send you the exact color of Marabou in a private e-mail.

Also, I think your chum gear is cool and when I say cool I mean totally SWEET!

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    I love my LL bean 5 weight. I caught all the SRC's on in today!! :THUMBSUP YT

5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

It's always good to have a variety, but purple and different greens are always go-to colors for chums. The pattern doesn't seem to be all that important; I usually go with maribous or woolly buggers.

6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    You've got the right gear alright! Anything green usually works just fine, but don't use any wimpy wire hooks!
    LB

7. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Papafsh is right, dont go for cheap wire hooks... nothing straightens out a cheap hook faster than a pissed off chum...green is a good color, but if you can get it in front of them, and they are in a bad mood, they will hit just about anything. you'll have no doubt when they hit, and then hang on, tight...

8. wyo_guy

wyo_guy New Member

I was on the Sky Friday and there were all kinds of salmon. I'm assuming these were spawning Silvers. Anyway, why kind of techniques are used to catch Chums? Are you swinging the fly thru a run steelhead-style or dead-drifting?

Tim

9. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

I hope most guys will agree, there is no one way that will do it every time... You have to experiment with swing, or dead drift, colors, retreive speed, hang time and everything else. It seems as every school that comes in is different. I have fished for them both in fresh and salt, and I cant say there is one sure way to get them to light up. Of course if you can see them you, and look at thier reactions to what your doing, and change as necessary you have much better odds. Drift like your using a hares ear, swing like a steelhead fly, bring it up through the current like salmon fishing. When the rod gets ripped out of your hand, you'll know you figured it out. Usually when they are tight mouthed, I go to a smaller fly before changing color. Then you start the process of what pisses them off... Different rivers for some reason like different colors. If you can find a school you can see, let them tell you if your doing it right, then have some fun... Greg

10. ex nihilo

ex nihilo Stage 3

I've caught chum using a hair-ball leach pattern. I caught them on both fushia and chartreuse. I like them heavily weighted with a lead dumbell head. Your casting won't be pretty (if you care about that sort of thing) but the fly gets down deep fast. I use a Rio sink tip system either the 3 or 6. I usually don't catch any chum until mid november, but there are probably a few in right now.

keep it reel