Chum off of Carkeek

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by avs16win, Nov 28, 2005.

1. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    You could, but you wouldn't!

They're really nice for bigger flies, they allow you to use small widegap hooks with large flies. Long shank hookd provide more leverage for the fish to pop your hook out.

Basically you get an adapter for your vice which allows you to mount tubes on them and tie your flies on the tubes as if they were the shank of your hook. Once your fly is done, you run your line through the tube and tie ot off on a hook. They're really pretty simple to use and tie. The hardest part is forking over the 25$ for an adapter and tubes.

If you check out http://www.pugetsoundflyco.com (site sponsor!) and go to their online store, hit up the Product Categories: dropdown menu and "select Fly Tying--Tube Vises" - they have pictures and descriptions of both the starter kit and the expert kit (IMO the starter kit works great).

If you decide to get into tying tubes I can pretty much guarantee there are 4 or 5 guys on this board who will be able to help you with any problems you have.
  2. troutingham Member

Seattle,Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I grew up in Richmond Beach played in Boeing Creek when I was a kid. There is a local fireman who takes the kids down there and plants the coho. When I learned about sea runs I went back there..It was a sad story. the fireman and I can't remember his name at the moment was down there counting returned fish I helped him as we talked about the creek. We counted 15 chums which we had to carry up the beach to the creek they just couldn't figure it out and they were bleed overs from carkeek he explained. We also counted a jack king. The silvers they plant can't sustain themselves in that creek due to poor stream conditions no gravel to spawn and runoff alot of them just wonder in the salt and die unable to return..they have to keep planting...kills me. On a nother note they spotted a cougar in that area also in Carkeek park..pretty exciting.
  3. Tom Merrill Member

Wenatchee, Washington.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I grew up attending Viewlands Elementary where we took chum smolt and planted Piper's Creek every year. I used to love to watch them return. While watching them one year, I saw about a 4-5 lb wild steelhead buck. He looked pretty lonely, however. Not another steelie in site.

I can't say anything about silvers, but I know there were some good searuns. The creek used to be open for juveniles only and I would fish it. We caught sea-runs to 16 or 17 inches, but this was back in the 80's. I haven't been there for years.

I'm glad this post came up as it brought back some memories.