chums are a comin

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by guest, Sep 25, 2001.

1. guest

guest Guest

landed a bright 14 lb chum about 6:30 in the evening off the beach on beach drive in rich passage.ran out 20 feet of backing on the first run.had a hit from a silver or cutt but lost it. its raining that means fresh fish to catch from the straits.should be red hot the next 4 or 5 days. ben

2. flyteen

flyteen New Member

Man, I'm so jealous, right when the salmon season is really great, I don't have the right equipment. I don't have a reel with a exposed palm. boo hoo. Next year I will though. Oh, am i posting too much? I think i shouldn't be i guess. Sorry.
    --------
    *Want to go fishing in or near the penninsula? Please email me! I'm always looking for partners! flyangler2000@msn.com*

3. guest

guest Guest

no such thing as posting to much, if you got a 5# rod or bigger hit it. forget freshwater untill steelhead start runnin. go to bay street outfitters in downtown port orchard. get some clousers and a leader loop put on if you all ready dont have one. i just use strait 8# test leader of a reel spool,with a surgeon knot looped thru the leader loop about 6-8 feet of leader. i dont have time to tie all these funky knots because i can cast farther than 90% of the people i have encounterd on the beaches and its way cheaper and easy and faster if your leader is thrashed just pull out a spool and tie another one.never had my line break on a silver either and have caught many. if you drive hit the beaches around southworth,yukon harbor,or harper,ample room fish abundant. you catch one and youll fish for trout as a last resort i promise. ben

4. flyteen

flyteen New Member

Oh i know i know, but um, i donn't have disk drag OR an exposed palm. It's a pflueer medalist, and the rod is a 6wt. Hmm, i'm getting some nasty ideas, i could bring my batting glove, and just grab on to the line instead of palming it. OOOooooooOooOOOo, that would be a hoot. I'm starting to get the itch for salmon. Too bad the kings run in gorst is over. Manchester state park is supposed to be hot right now, a neighbor spin fishes for them, caught like 15 silvers. Man, i'm like twitching and stuff. I've never caught one before. Heh heh, salmon here I come }>
    ----------
    *Want to go fishing in or near the penninsula? Please email me! I'm always looking for partners! flyangler2000@msn.com*

5. guest

guest Guest

hey i would go in the next couple of days, it aint gonna get any better after that. its peakin right now the rain brought more fish and its still early enough where they bite any thing in front of them. and about that reel you have if its the one that costs about 20$ i used the name reel for 3 years 16-19 im 23 now and got a better one. you just get your knuckles banged a bit. i sure did at first. but i seen more fish today than i have all month i was gear chuckin off a dock cause the winds were to much to go out in the boat or cast off the beach but it was school after school,at watermans pier. so go go go Ben

6. flyteen

flyteen New Member

What kind of salmon are here now? Are we in the chum and silver run now? What flies to tie? Also, do you cast right of the dock? Where around here is Waterman's Pier? My dad doesn't know where it is. I think I'll see if I can go Saturday.
    ----------

7. guest

guest Guest

i dont know if the chums are really in yet,maybe a couple of weeks, i think i caught a fluke its the first one i caught on a fly that was not in a mouth of a creek, south of eglon, but that is a hard fish to catch on a fly,waterman pier is a bobber and herring dock it seems but there is beaches around it you can fish. its located on beach drive just take bay street past blackjack like your going to manchester and its a few miles down the road.i like size 4 clousers in olive, green, people use pink to but the cutts like those better i think. i use 5/32 lead eyes in unpaintd with mono thread. i even use a size 2 clouser with the same size lead if the current is real fast. i think that was what i caught the chum on because it was raining, it gives them more to see, i use the bigger fly with the small lead and it seems to work real well in bad weather conditions. good luck

8. flyteen

flyteen New Member

If they aren't chums, then what are they? Silvers? Thanks. And Waterman's pier is the best place in downtown port orchard? Or is there a better place? Thanks.
    ----------

9. guest

guest Guest

silvers are thick right now, waterman area gets alot of fish going thru puget sound maken there way south. the beaches around the dock are better for fishing particular the point before watermans with the pull off and the rock jetty. if you fly fish at watermans pier your likely to catch cuss words than fish. ben

10. flyteen

flyteen New Member

Ok, I' was talking to the guy at Bay St. Outfitters today. I bought some pink &white, and some chartruese & white clousers. I'll be going on Sunday around high tide near the mouth of black jack creek accross from that grill (i went there last year, not much pressure from spin casters, they were generally pretty friendly). Feel free to join me if you'd like, i love fly fishing with other people because i barely get to fly fish with people, usually it's by myself. Look for a chubby kid in brown waders casting light green line. Later.
    ----------

11. guest

guest Guest

are fish at the mouth of blackjack yet, i think that goes on later in the month. i used to fish there when i was younger because i would 100's of fish jumpingbut they are fish of a 1000 cast there 200 people at once throwing buzzbombs.i would totally recommend southworth ferry terminal, returning fish and it has been pretty hot since the rains. ben

12. flyteen

flyteen New Member

Ok, you win, so the best spot would be the beaches around waterman's pier? Thanks.
    ------

13. guest

guest Guest

hey flyteen did you go out today, to windy to fly fish thou huh. had to fish bait off the dock, seen 2 bright chums caught off of watermans and schools were pretty steady going thru during the last hour of the flood tide to dark. landed a 3# silver to so did another person but chums are strartin to move in. ben

14. flyteen

flyteen New Member

I went to blackjack 1 hour before high tide, couldn't get my fly out much more than 15 ft because of the wind, had to call it quits, there was only a couple other people there too.

15. guest

guest Guest

was there any fish jumping when you were there , startin to see some jump out in front of venture charters place. should be pretty good when the chums and silvers are jumping everywhere.pick up some chum candy too at bay streetoutfitters derek or the old man will show you what it is, that fly works really well when the chums are schooling in the mouth of the creek there, but that aint in another month thou. if i see you there i yell wassup, ben