chums

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyflinger, Oct 26, 2002.

1. flyflinger New Member

puyallup, washington, united states.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i went exploring today and found some good fishing waters. Mission creek has a good number of chromer chums off the creek mouth and sherwood creek has lots of fish. I have some questions though, i am new to salmon fly fishing and i was wondering how you retrieve your flies and what line you need (floating, sinking). Also I investigated coulter creek and found a no tespassing sign below the bridge, has that been there long. Also minter is empty of chums at low-tide at the hatchery there was only one school of silvers below the gate. Any information of maybe more spots to try and techniques would be appriciated. I hope to see some of you out there I like to see people with respect for fish.
  2. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Did you see a flyfisher at Sherwood Creek between 0930-1230? Maybe a dark blue 2001 Explorer Sport Trac with an American flag flying from the antenna? That would have been me. C&R'd three in that time-frame. Chum like rising tides...if you caught Minter at low tide or several hours after the ebb began, you were there too late but remember, the fishery doesn't open until 11/01. Fish Minter (and most other locales) 2-3 hours before the peak flood or into about an hour after the ebb starts.

I like the Rio VersiTip lines for this "close to shore" type of fishing although others manufacture multi-tip lines as well. It works in cold waters well and gives the flyfisher a lot of flexibility.

Retrieve? Vary it according to the type fly you're using. Fly I was using closely resembled the one Sparse Grey Hackle described in a thread a day or two ago on this site.

Say hello next time. I guess that washingtonflyfishing.com logo would have been useful today.

Greg
  3. topflight121 Josh Pearson

Richland, WA
    Coulter is a conservation estuary. Which means if you have a boat you can fish the bay and estuary area. Otherwise there is no wading in the estuary area, except for the true steam channel which is not covered under the conservation area. it also doesn't fall under the trespassing area. You can wade out very far, but it is a mud bay.

Minter creek does not open until Nov. Read the regs.
  4. flyflinger New Member

puyallup, washington, united states.
    i would have missed you at sherwood because i was a mission creek form 11-2. Also i just stopped by minter to check it out not to fish i should have clarified. I will probably be at sherwood tommorrow just look for the young kid. Thanks for all the help maybe i will hook up a couple next time.
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +652 / 5
    Yeah, normally Minter doesn't start heating up for another couple weeks. Usually around mid Nov. I deliver out there, and talk with the hatchery guys all the time. I've drooled over the kings and silvers there for years.

Greg is right on the mark with Minter. You want to hit it on incoming tide. When it's low, you'll have virtually no water. Plus, at low tide you won't be casting, just dapping your fly into the water. I actually saw a guy with a spey rod there last year, laughed my butt off. If you ever see a UPS guy fishing Minter in Nov/Dec, it's usually me. :THUMBSUP

I normally use a standard floating line with maybe a slightly weighted fly. Or a standard wetfly swing with an unweighted fly and a slow sinking fly. You can fish outside of minter, but I do believe there's quite the bubble around it, and have to have a boat.
  6. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    That would be the young kid with the monster Chum on the end of his fly line, right? :WINK