Cicadas in Western Washington?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke Ramirez, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fished a lake near the north entrance of Rainier (off hwy 410) this weekend and came across a bug that looked like a cicada. I've seen Cicadas out on the Green River in Utah but never out here. The bug here was smaller than most cicadas that I've seen, but it had "tent" shaped translucent wings and a dark brown/almost black body. When it flew it looked like a stonefly, ie I could see four wings fluttering. It was about as graceful as a stonefly too. The only thing that makes me think it wasn't a stonefly was that it didn't have a flatwing profile and the body was a little more round...

Any ideas?
  2. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    I don't think we have cicadas, I've never heard them, and I've asked natives and they haven't either.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,575 / 0
    I don't know about cicadas in this area either, so have no idea what you saw. I fished cicadas on the Green in Utah last month and have never seen anything similar in western WA.

Sg
  4. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    I've never seen any here either. I saw a June beetle last week over east. But I bet you saw a Pine Borer.
  5. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Never seen any cicadas out here or seen any shucks for that matter either. I have seen them on he east coast on a breeding year and WOW. The air was so thick with them it looked dark out at noon on a sunny day. The bass were insane fat that summer.
  6. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
  7. headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cashmere
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Absolutely. Even on the OP. There are over 100 spp in the US, although they do not occur to the same degree as in the midwest/southeast. Species from the genus Okanagana have been collected in WWA.
  8. headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cashmere
    Stonefish- yours is a ten-lined june beetle.
  9. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    HeadStrong1 - I found a picture of what appears to be the okanagana species that you refered to:

The bug I saw looked a bit like this BUT the wings on my bug didn't extend as far past the abdomen as the above bug. Also, the body was more slender...

Any ideas?
  10. Capt. Awesome Member

Bend, OR
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Alright- did it look like this?
  11. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,602 / 2
    cicadas are usually heard, not seen
  12. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    Sort of, but it was black and it's wings were more translucent. But it was that same style of bug. Is that a caddis in the photo?
  13. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
  14. headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cashmere
    Sorry no. I'd go to the ento museum and pull cicada specimens for you if I were in Pullman right now. If it didn't conform to the general body plan of a cicada there are many candidate insects it could have been from the description. Catch one and we're in buisness!
  15. Capt. Awesome Member

Bend, OR
    Ratings: +2 / 0

If you say they were more translucent than the bug pictured then that pretty much rules it out as a caddis fly. Caddis flies don't really have clear wings like stoneflies or cicadas do. BTW, that fly image is Hydatophylax argus. It's claim to fame, apparently, is that it's the only Caddisfly with a yellow head. It's not found in Washington or on the west coast for that matter but at least it resembled your bug more than a cicada!

Tell you what- one more try?
    How 'Bout this?
  16. Joel Wood ahteef

Marysville, WA
  17. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    Thanks headstrong, I found one of those bugs that stonefly found and really wanted to know what it was. Only mine was twice as big as his.

Ira..
  18. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    The flight pattern does not sound like that of a cicada. Cicadas are fairly competent fliers, at least when comparing Eastern cicadas to Western stoneflies ... . :D
  19. tflatso Guest

Cicadas are in W WA. Hear them often, see them frequently.