Circle of buggers

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jan 29, 2013.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Next on my latest tying streak . . .seal buggers. I've done well with these early and late season in the Basin, meaning March and November. Once lakes warm up a bit and bugs get active I tend to fish other patterns.
    IMG_3017.JPG

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Nice ties. I don't fish buggers as much as other guys, with the exception of my beloved white bugger, but I do try to have a good handful of seal buggers tied up. In fact, buggers are not far down my list of things to work on. I've been tying a ton lately.... Went through a flurry of simi seal leeches and various micro leeches last week. Now I'm on a big chironomid kick. Six packs/Olive willies will be next, and then buggers. I've really had the tying bug bad lately.

3. troutpocket

Media:
    And I don't fish them as much as I used to. Smaller and slim profile is what I do more often but just after ice-out and again just before ice-on fish can get aggressive and want the big meal. It's fun when you get the right day.

jordan101 and Nick Clayton like this.
  4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I was out on a lake today, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at some very tight lipped fish. When I reached in for a seal bugger, I discovered I was empty. No bueno. I need to get busy.

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Very nice TP! You're well armed come March.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You guys are really cheensy with your marabou... I use the entire feather!:D

WB and leech patterns are my stillwater staple. I probably keep the entire marabou industry alive and well. I was bored this winter and didn't like the idea of fishing for winter steelhead amongst the crowds, so I tied flies. I ran out of fly boxes for WB and leeches and had to buy more... sheesh.

Those are great patterns. Rock ties the tail for his WBs in a similar fashion and doesn't use the entire blood quill feather tips as do I. Sometimes it can make a difference as to how much marabou you use. On day, Rock was doing better with a black WB than I and I couldn't figure it out. I finally looked at what he was using and it was tied with what I call "sparse" marabou for the tail. So nowadays, I tie them heavy and slim with regards to the marabou tail.

Those are definitely stillwater go-to patterns!

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

First red bead kinda flashy buggers and now a slimmed down natural version. Scottfly is right - looks like you will be well armed for ice off!

I didn't throw buggers at all last year but there were two times I should of in 6 to 8 ft. flats with the fish spread out with no structure to stop them from roaming. you can bet I wont make the same mistake twice!
    Nick you could send some of that "tying bug" my way - I need to get busy!!!

8. troutpocket

Media:
    When I fish reservoirs in eastern ID and MT I use buggers the same way your are describing - covering the flats when the fish are spread out. It's not as much fun as working a big chironomid or callibaetis hatch but better than sitting at camp!

Some of those lakes have what seems like acres of 5-8' weedy shoals. It all looks good. Wind drifting and working seal buggers with a hover line is a good way to scout those areas and locate the subtle breaks, channels, and springs that concentrate the fish. I'll be bringing a GPS on my next trip to start marking where I see features I want to come back to.

Mark Kraniger likes this.