Citation issued from WA Dept. of Fish & Wildlife

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dipsnort, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

You guys can't believe how upset I am after having received a citation on August 27 at the Lake Wilderness access area for not having the required sticker! Since I actually DO have the sticker in the appropriate location on my truck's rear window (right next to the stickers for both of the previous years), I contacted the WDFW to express my displeasure in a very cordial way.

After being ignored by my e-mail to enforcement, I contacted the Director's office, who sent me to the Captain in the Regional office, who sent me to a Sargeant in the Regional office, who continues to evade me. :REALLYMAD

At one time, he tried to get me to take it up with the court, but I say Bullsh*t! I can't believe they won't "step up to the plate", admit their error, and cancel the citation themselves from the court records to clear my name.

My question: does anyone else out there have a similar experience to share for getting cited even though the sticker was in place?

2. SMiller435

SMiller435 New Member

Well actually I did have a similar experience.

My sticker is on my pickup's lower back window on the drivers side.

After launching my boat, I forgot to roll the tonneau cover back down so it was temporarily obscured from view.

I got a ticket, but even saw the officer when I returned and showed him that I DID have a sticker. He said he would "Take care of it". He didn't take care of SQUAT.

Then, the citation came in the mail, I had to go to court with proof of when I purchased the sticker, as well as pictures of the sticker on my vehicle.

The charges were dropped, but it was huge hassle.

Let 'em go!

3. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Guess it's time to be a jerk.

Go to court, suppeona all the parties you tried to get help from, including the fish and game warden. When one does not show up for court (which why would they bother) the judge will drop the charges. Then shedule an interview with a reporter outside the courthouse and tell the world how little they gave a rip. Oh, and have a picture of your &*^%$ parking sticker and another of a group of law breakers snagging salmon and name a few names....

I wouldn't probably bother, but if you wanted to ruffle a few feathers you could. :WINK

Remember, you are fighting the system that wants and needs your money.

4. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Wow, this is really sad. If they have the resources to go around writing tickets for failure to properly display the sticker (and getting it wrong, for God's sake), they ought to be able to do a better job of enforcing the things that really matter. WDFW once again showing its true colors - too busy wrongly writing tickets for sticker display violations to go deal with the A**holes snagging silvers on the Duwamish. :REALLYMAD

5. wa_flyfisher

wa_flyfisher New Member

I had a similar situation resolved by contacting the prosecutors office and speaking to the District attorney on the matter. Mine was dropped without going to court. Maybe I was lucky. :WINK

6. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That method works great for speeding tickets too...

It just goes to show that "law enforcement" is all about collecting fines, not stopping crimes. It's much easier for them to go around to the parking lots looking for vehicles without stickers than it is to actually confront some redneck snagging salmon.

7. Jim Jenkins

Jim Jenkins New Member

It happened to my fishing partner too. He went to court and all he had to do was show that he had a valid license and it was thrown out. He even had a picture of it being in the right place on his car, which I saw him put in when he got to the put-in parking area. I also wrote a statement to that fact for him to take with him. In fact he said the judge was rather annoyed at the whole thing, like "NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE PARKING TICKETS". Its a big waste of time for them too! Aren't there some REAL law-breakers out there to catch? :MAD I agree with the above that its to easy for them to write tickets then to go after criminals!!! Its all about money then, not enforcement. Maybe if the parking area's were a little bigger or they actually spend some of our money improving them you could justify why they are so agressive on enforing it? Just trying to understand both sides here. There are bigger fish to fry! Sorry for the pun! haha
    Jim J

8. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Any computer geeks out there?

Lets hack into the DFW kitty and buy pizza and beer for all members of www.washingtonflyfishing.com and send a thankyou note and a picture of us all eating pizza to our friends at DFW and oh, lets give the pizza delivery boy a big fat tip :THUMBSUP

Just kidding guys... :CLOWN

9. shorty

shorty New Member

Okay my question is where is the right place for the sticker? If I'm not mistaken, the WSDFW "Vehicle Use Permit" has room for two license numbers, so it can be used with multiple vehicles. I just carry mine along with my fishing license, and throw it on the dashboard whenever I'm in an area that requires a permit. Never gotten a ticket - but maybe I've just been lucky?

Am I looking to get fined by some uninformed enforcement dude, or am I the one that's uninformed?:DUNNO

Adam

10. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

As of this year, you can put it on the dash if you want to use it for two vehicles. Just make sure you write the plate # in the space or they can probably ticket you for that.

11. jditto

jditto New Member

if i read the regs correctly, it can be in the front seat, on the dash or on the windshield. the back is no longer the proper place for it. seems like the back would be the easier place though. jer

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Zen and parking tickets

Remember one thing, look deep enough and you will find the truth. In this case it's about who's making this important. The WDFW officer? His boss? His bosses boss? You need to find out who is pushing these issues and why.
    Then take the SOB out back and shoot him! Oop's, that's not good for my kharma. Really, approach this in a civil manner with the WDFW and see what you come up with. Then remind all of them they are public servants and one way or another we could determine their fate.
    Never forget your local newspaper.

13. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

And those little lovely stickers are so attractive... I look so forward to plastering one of those on my vehicles... looks so tacky....

14. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow New Member

Are these the same stickers that say "Access Stewardship"??

I don't think mine had a space to write my license plate number.

I didn't receive anything that said "Vehicle Use Permit" even though it said I was supposed to get one in the letter sent with the license.

I've been putting mine on the dash and haven't had trouble... yet.

15. Sstern

Sstern New Member

I had a similar bummer at Lake Wilderness years ago...well it wasn't Fish and Wildlife it was the Police...and come to think of it I wasn't fishing I was drinking...and I was only about 16...and....never mind. :CLOWN

16. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

I had this same kind of thing happen at Shadow Lake fishing for bass (and no I wasn't flyfishing, I do like to spin cast too, but flyfishing is my first love) not to long ago. I still haven't gotten my court date, but I decided to fight it because it is a $66 ticket.

This is off topic, for all of you that have fished Wilderness this year, don't you like the size of the rainbows in there, they are nice sized. I have fished there only a coupld times this year, but every time I have fished there I have caught a couple over 13 inches. Took my girlfriend the other day and she caught one about 13 inches, I caught one about 14 and 15 inches. Nice sized I think.

17. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

Thank you all for your support on this matter. I have just finished a very direct letter to the Editor of the Seattle Times, which blasts the Fish & Wildlife Department for the situation they have put me in. And by the way, I cc'd the Director of the Wildlife Department as well.

I don't know if it will be published, but it will surely get their attention.

I will let you know what happens. :THUMBSUP

18. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

Well guys, I think we can close the book on this one. I don't think my Letter to the Editor was published, but I got a phone call from the Officer who issued the citation. Not only did he apologize for the situation that he created, but he rescinded the citation with the court and now I am a "free man". Thanks for your moral support, and don't forget that if you are ever fasely accused, stand up for yourself until someone takes notice! :THUMBSUP

19. shockedalaskan

shockedalaskan New Member

Make some money off of it.

This is going to sound jerky as hell but it works. I get tickets all of the time for stupid stuff. even when they know they are wrong, they don't care. Type B personality, they are lazy, ignorant, and underpaid. Most of all they don't care.

I got so fed up with it that I filed suit.

Just remember that Washington State is all about the revenue stream.

Here is what I did.

File suit against the Department of Fish and Wildlife in small claims. Have them served. They are lazy and will NOT respond. Wait until three months after the court date and get your default judgment.

Then send a garnishment to Bank fo America and get a nice check.

I filed for 3800.00 for harrassment and won. When the garnishment hit, I got a check for all of it.

I again got another citation and this time when they were served they dropped it.

yours,

phil

20. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Make some money off of it.

Phil,

That is cool. And when I say cool I mean totally sweet!

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP