Clackacraft vs. Hyde...what to buy?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bryan Williamson, Mar 14, 2007.

1. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    It is boat dealership that now is a dealer for hyde boats. it is listed on the Hyde website as a hyde dealer. I haven't been there myself, but going to check it out in case I need something for my boat. I knew it was coming a long time ago talking to the family, however only mentioned it only once on a post a while back... I was told it was going to be a full service, sales office.
  2. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The headhunter has the same footprint in water as the 15lp, except is SO much more wind resistant. I know a couple guys who have been using them, they say it is clackas best rowing boat... You probably might have seen mike lawson on the madison, he uses a grey skiff. You wont believe the color I have put a deposit on, it so out of this world that depending on what I think when I go to Idaho Falls to pick it up, I might have to change... Peep this, bitches!

Attached Files:

3. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It was definetly not Mike I saw on the river. This guy was at least 6'7" and 20 years his younger. However I did see Mike's boat parked at the shop...just did not know it was "his" until now. If that is the color you chose....well, I hate to admit this but I kinda like it. Not sure I would have the b@lls to order that color myself.
  4. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    :eek: wild color,,,, looks like it's got a transformer sticker on it !!??
    guess that must be the headhunter logo
  5. Eastside Guest

Buy the Clackacraft. I have owned two, my second for 22 years. It has served me well on the Deschutes, Grande Ronde, and other rivers. For my use, I have the high side model. Actually, mine is old enough (1985) that they didn't offer the fly-fishing model at the time. I haul two besides myself with gear, food, beer, etc. for a four-day trip down the Deschutes River in Oregon every year. We've smacked a few rocks and gone up over a few and the boat doesn't look much worse for the wear, save a few scratches. I consider them a badge of honor. It still looks classy on the water and I get compliments all the time. My neighbor bought the 2005 model and it is sweet as well. You cant miss with the Clacka!:thumb:
  6. nomlasder Active Member

Burien.
    Ratings: +113 / 0
    Well, I've had a couple of beers, and I could get banned from the site but what the heck.

You guys rowing plastic, probably use latex, also.

The concept is to have a boat that is manouverable (sp) enough to steer clear and not run into rocks.

All of us have graphite rods, but that does not diminish the spirit of bamboo. Don't forget where is all came from. Having a tank that can bounce off of every obsticle is only for those lame enough not to learn the skills.

I am in so much drunken trouble!!!!!!

Going back to the posted question, who the bleep cares. Pick one, fish the bleep out of it and if you don't like that one pick the other.

Crashing is just that, and if your skill or boat can't handle it, then wade!!!!
  7. Elkman Ryan

Silverdale,WA
    Decepticon Symbol???
  8. Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

WA
    Plastic (I'm sorry, fiberglass) vs. aluminum. Simple decision in my mind. I’ve been on the sticks of the same aluminum boat for over twenty years. Good enough for me.

Best of luck with your decision.
  9. TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Littleton, CO
    In my experience, Hydes and Clacks will both get the job done just fine. Make sure you sit in them to see how they fit (Clacks are measured down the center and Hydes are measured around the sheer - as is traditional with drift boats). If you're not married to the idea of a glass boat, you might check out Boulder Boatworks or Hog Island, both out of Colorado. I have not seen these boats in person yet, but they are an interesting concept. The one concern I would have with those (and it is also a concern with glass boats) is how stiff the hull is. You don't want the sides or bottom to flex when you are reefing on the oars. But again, I haven't seen them and can't verify this concern at all, so you'd want to do your homework (I just mention it from experience with kayaks). I like the concept and have heard positive comments for both.

If you have some funds available, Montana Boatbuilders are building the best drift boats on the planet, hands down.

Just my two cents. It's a fun decision to make - you won't be unhappy whichever way you go.
  10. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    If I had a Montana Boatbuilders drift boat, I'd keep it in my living room and be afraid to take it on the water. Those are beautiful.
  11. TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Littleton, CO
    They are pretty to look at...but they are also tough, durable, light, repairable, easy maintenance. Good stuff.

Oh, and I'm not trying throw wood on the fire from the original question. Just one guy's opinion who has been in the same boat (sorry) as the original poster. I'm not trying to ignite a my-widget-is-better-than-your-widget argument.
  12. Duane New Member

Poatland
    There is another alternative in Watershed Boats (http://www.watershedboats.com but as many have said, a lot of it boils down to personal preferences. I've either owned or rowed about everything out there, including catarafts, rafts, wooden, glass, and aluminum drift boats, and a few things I can share about Watershed Boats: IMHO they are easily the best handling boat I've ever rowed (including Clack's and Hyde's). The interiors are the most innovative and well thought out in the industry, and they easily have the strongest hull on the market. Check them out and call Rick Atwood (owner-number on website) if you'd like to row one. Unfortunately I have mine for sale as I need the funds for my business but will have them build me a new boat this summer.
  13. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Once you go Clack, you don't go back :)
  14. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Picking up my 2007 16LP in Portland this Saturday!
  15. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    :beathead: double post
  16. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Thanks for letting us know what you decided Willybethere!
    what color combo are you gettting?
    be sure to post a pic of your new boat for us when you get it!

be sure to get a few extra plugs, an extra anchor and rope
    get the best oars you can afford and get a cover. also
    get a full set of mats.

jason:thumb:
  17. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Mats are included and I went with the standard oars (including break down spare) for now. The cover is being shipped to Portland from ID Falls tomorrow and I am planning on getting some extra plugs as well as the anchor pully to ease on the anchor retreive. I already own an anchor.

The color is midnight blue on stern, black stripe and white bow. Also with matching midnight blue parts on interior with gray. I also ordered the galvanized trailer, spare tire w/mount and the tongue wheel jack.

I will post a pic when I can find my camera...I moved last weekend and have NO idea where anything is.
  18. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    My friend on the madison has the same colorway only on a 15"LP, great looking boat, congrats!
  19. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Color was the most difficult decision for me, the rest was a no brainer.

Initially I was going with the Red stern and parts but changed it at the last minute because you see so many with Red. I have yet to see one in person with my color combo, so good to hear it looks good!
  20. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    congrats Willy! that is a sweet color combo!
    i almost bought that same color set up.

you always want a spare anchor, in case you
    have a smart buddy like i do :beathead:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11380&ppuser=5351

you get caught in rock are like the rock garden
    on the yak. sometimes you have to cut your line.....
    that also means getting an extra anchor rope too!

look at this pic.... and you see why
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11379&ppuser=5351

here are some pics of when i picked up my boat last year, it was a lot of fun to go get it
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11175&ppuser=5351
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11390&ppuser=5351

don't cry when you hit your first rock or scratch the crap out it!
    i might even suggest when you get it home, take a screw driver and key it
    just to get that experience out of they way (that was a joke)

Jason

by the way, the funniest thing i've ever seen in my life was my buddy learning to back up a trailer to
    launch the boat! :rofl: :rofl: