Claret CS6 3/0 Francis Francis

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Worked on this one for a few days then it sat for a while because I didn't have any good wax, Eunan came to the rescue and sent me some of his special magical dubbing wax (home made), worked great and so I finished it today.
    The hackle could have been a bit shorter, and the wing is a little to pointy but all in all I'm pretty happy with it. Receipt called for green and red parrot for the sides, so I had to fudge with turkey.
    Hope you like it. DSCN2072.JPG

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Very nice, I like how full the pattern is, yet the front is not to bulky. Your hackle also looks excellent.

3. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks Pat, I've gotten inspired from my new book so I'll probably tie a few of these while the weather is crummy.

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is really awesome Mark!! I wonder what is the most important factor to do the marrywing? I am just curious about it seems in your hands there are endless combinations! : ) I have some blinded eye hooks laying around, maybe I should try to give them some wings! Ha...really amazing fly! Mark

5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:

Thanks Mark, I appreciate your comments. I've seen how good of a tier you are and have no doubt you could tie these if you had the time and desire to do so. As you know there really isn't much creativity in these classic patterns, I'm just trying to follow a receipt as close as I can, and they can be time consuming and frustrating. If you have some salmon hooks it's always something you could try and play around with, maybe you'll like it.

yuhina likes this.
  6. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Nice one Mark. I'd like a little shorter tag, but thats just personal preference.

I wouldnt use that wax for dubbing either...otherwise your fingers will be ruined for the rest of the fly, or you'll be washing them raw to get the wax off!
    Great looking fly though!!

Mark Mercer likes this.
  7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks Eunan, I figured out about the wax pretty quickly.....I'm only using it where absolutely necessary, but thanks for the warning. I agree that most of my earlier tags were too long, but I think this one is about right, at least for me. Thanks again for the wax.

Mark