Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Thanks to all who've been checking the other threads i've posted.
    Decided to start a single thread for the these flies rather than clutter the forums.
    I'll add to it as i tie more.
    Feel free to leave comments, critique, likes or dislikes.
    I'm posting them to hopefully inspire tyers to have a go.
    I started tying Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies 9 months ago
    This was the first.
    A poor Jock Scott on a 3/0 Alec Jackson hook
    [IMG]
    This is the latest.
    [IMG]

Used new subs for IC and Toucan on this one that are much more realistic to the originals.

Pretty happy - this is my best fly ever, hopefully i'll be able to say that with each subsequent fly off the vise!

look out for more and thanks for checking in!!
  2. S Fontinalis Active Member

I tied this fly in June and didnt like it,
    Here is the new one.
    [IMG]
    Here is the old one.
    [IMG]
  3. Ryan Havelka New Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Those are some beautiful flies you have there! I just moved to Portland ME last week from Seattle and have been poking around on line as to how to fish for Atlantic's. Looks like a blast, I can't wait. What type of feather is the red one on the Tom Tickler?
  4. S Fontinalis Active Member

red one is goose shoulder, the brown and white spotted on is Kori Bustard, the other is golden pheasant tail
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Looking fantastic Eunan, it really hasn't taken that long, has it? You keep tying like this and you'll be on top of these, and that's saying a lot, cause they take time and practice, and not everyone can do it. keep em coming!
  6. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    One word for y
  7. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    For you wow hope i can tie that gOod soon
  8. S Fontinalis Active Member

Latest one i just finished today - Seems like the wings came out of alignment when tying them in. I only noticed after i took the photo.

Really took my time on this fly. Started it Tuesday and finished it today.
    Paid off, as i was able to really consider every wrap of the underbody, and i reset the tail a couple times.

Anyways, here' the Black Doctor 2/0
    [IMG]
  9. S Fontinalis Active Member

10. S Fontinalis Active Member

Durham Ranger 3/0
    Had a crack at this one on a Ronn Lucas 3/0 Milward Bartleet.

Think i'd like the wing to sit lower at the back, the current height probably a consequence of an overly thick body, which i did try to taper off at the front.The tail might be too high/long as well. i also just noticed the JC arent aligned in the photo, but are in actuality parallel to eachother. The tippets could be better aligned too.

THis is essentially the Maxwell pattern (apparently from Salmon and Sea Trout, though i couldnt find it in my edition), which I found in Radencich new book. There was no photo of this fly in the book.
    Kinda maxwell, because i added a topping which wasnt listed in Mike book, but ive since discovered it is actually part of the fly, and i left off the chenille head as i didnt have any narrow enough to fit. I also used seals fur instead of pigs wool for the body

[IMG]
  11. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Nicely done as always Eunan.....Getting the the wings to lay tight to the body is always tough, if I don't start with the perfect shaped tippets and a lot of massaging, they never seem to lay right. Keep em coming.
  12. S Fontinalis Active Member

Thanks Mark,
    The wing on the Durham Ranger is too short, and every time i see the fly i dislike it more This one will get the blade for a long wing, flatter tail and topping, just to great a better balance. it is very front loaded....
  13. S Fontinalis Active Member

Big fly - 6/0 Lady Amherst

Tried to work along the lines of Ronn Lucas' style for this one (short tails and toppings leaving the back open), but failed.
    I couldnt get the toppings flat enough for the tail and it looks like this one is a bit too long also.
    I'd like it to either have a flatter and shorter tail, or a bit more curve to the topping to even out the curves - as is it i just looks a bit off.

Other than that i'm pretty happy with this one.
    I worked from a couple sources for the pattern, and depending which you look at, the rib hackle either starts from the butt or the second turn of tinsel. Also, some listings dont have any teal mentioned in the tail or for the throat. In the end i decided to go with a throat as is just seemed right.

Anyways.

Included a photo with the wee Paddy 1/0 i tied a while back for size reference.

Eunan
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Paddy 1/0 and Lady Amherst 6/0
    [IMG]
    Jeff Dodd and Steve Knapp like this.
  14. S Fontinalis Active Member

Variegated Sun Fly From Kelson - The Salmon Fly
    I've been intrigued by the topping wing flies and with an order of materials for other flies in the mail, I tackled this one.
    Toppings aren't great either, but i worked with what i had. There is 6 toppings for the wing. Body is berlin wool dubbed to the thread
    [IMG]
    Eunan
  15. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
  16. S Fontinalis Active Member

MacPhearson for Spey (Blacker)

Tail is Yellow weaver (toucan sub)
    Wing is the following
    GP center tail
    Amherst Tail
    Kori Bustard
    Red goose shoulder
    GP tippets

Head is black wool
    Hook #2 blind eye limerick

[IMG]
  17. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    That Amherst is hot stuff. Keep 'em coming.
  18. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    Incredible! Thank you for sharing.
  19. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Eunan,

You have come a long way from your first classic salmon flies. And as you have found out, if someone has good tying skills and knows ow to manage thread and materials so the do what he wants them to do, he can tie a good looking classic salmon fly provided he takes his time and redoes anything that doesn't look right when it is tied in. It is also obvious you have been paying attention to your tying and to what others have offered as suggestions to improve your flies. Kudos to you for doing so.

Although I know the Kelson SUN FLY is most often tied on larger hooks as a presentation fly today, it was originally tied on a hook that measured 1/2" to 2/4" in length as measured from hook bend to the eyed end of the shank. In other words, it was tied on what would be #8-#12 standard salmon irons today. It was tied for use during mid-day in bright sun during summer/fall low-water conditions. And yes, eventhough it was tied on small hooks, it still had the spiralled, multi-colored Berlin wool body and still had 6 toppings for the wing. And Kelson varied the color of the floss tag (yes he used a floss tag and extra fine oval or round tinsel tip instead of just the silver tinsel you used) to suit the river he was fishing (or the color that struck his fancy at the time). It is still a useful fishing fly today in the small sized Kelson tied it in and in the conditions he used it in. I often use in in mid-day in late summer low-water on bright days for steelhead. I usually tie it on an Alec Jackson Steelhead Iron #9 (Daiichi 2151 #8 and #10 is the same thing).
  20. S Fontinalis Active Member

Here's the latest.
    Kinda like this pattern, though doing it again i'd make the wing more banded.

Hook is a Ronn Lucas Philips Limerick #5.

Generally quite happy. I'd like the wing to be a bit flatter at the back end, and also not pointing up.
    ran into trouble again with the roof as i was down to my last couple of mallards. Need some good stuff going forward.

I think generally i've progressed quite well lately in terms of the back end and the body, now my focus is going to be on the front end - roof, sides (which are a complete shambles here, also need some good teal etc) throat (which could be a fraction long on this one) and toppings.

I put a progressive rib on this one too for the first time, though you'd hardly notice it.

The magenta hackles i dyed myself, and quite happy with how they turned out too.

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]