Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0

I've never tied it smaller than this one, but i'm inclined to give it a go smaller for steelies this year.
  2. S Fontinalis Active Member

I picked up some Amgold tippets and crests recently and wanted a go at tying with them, so i tackled the Black Ranger, which is another redo of a fly i tied earlier this year.

Not sure if the cream tippets work with this fly, but overall, it was a learning experience if nothing else.

I think the body is better than my first version but still not perfect; the body hackle is once again a shambles now that i see the picture, and ribs aren't evenly spaced.
    This time i went for the open back, though i think in retrospect i'd like either the tail to be longer or the topping shorter.
    Kinda lost the horns a bit too, they're not quite parallel on both sides. Cheeks could be longer and higher, and while not looking so, are actually quite bright in color.
    First one is the Amgold variant, second one is the the regular version from earlier this year.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Eunan
  3. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +467 / 0
    Man Eunan you're a tying machine....Nicely done, I really liked your mixed wing Blacker I have never tried one, maybe this winter? Keep em coming.
  4. S Fontinalis Active Member

ha ha, thanks Mark. Once i get the bit between my teeth, theres no stopping me!
  5. S Fontinalis Active Member

long and low Durham Ranger 4/0 from Francis Francis.
    Used Am-gold crests for the tail and topping.
    [IMG]
  6. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +467 / 0
    Nicely done Eunan, as always.
    S Fontinalis likes this.
  7. S Fontinalis Active Member

Tied this one up over the last two nights.

Everything went swimmingly until the sides....my teal is poor and the gallina was worse.
    Used sub for the green parrot in the wing; blue any yellow horns (no blue and red) Wool head (recommended by Radencich from the color plate in the book)

Pretty happy. Would have liked the wing a little lower - not enough taper off from the body will do that unfortunately.
    And the 'leggy' hackle could be shorter too!

[IMG]
  8. S Fontinalis Active Member

Again on the vintage 1/0 hook

[IMG]

I tied the version above and later learned it was a variant i came up with. So i set to rectify the situation tonight. Unlike all the other ranger patterns, the Irish Ranger doesnt have double tippets for the wings, but instead a slab of woodie rather than the smaller tippets.

Took the blade to the head, removed the crest, woodie sides, and one of the pairs of tippets
    got some new woodie to flank the tippets (unfortunately not matched) and used the same crest that came of 'er.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]