Classic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Nothing compliments a classic bamboo or fiberglass rod like a classic reel. Let's hear (or see) what yer using.

Here is one of my "pimped" Pflueger Medalist reels on board an 8' 5wt. bamboo rod.
    I LOVE my Medalist reels! :thumb:

[IMG]
  2. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    They're probably the best value reel ever made. They're timeless, tough and it's neat that a 60+ yrs old spool will still work on a brand new chinese made reel. Love 'em on my glass rods too.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,475 / 9
    I recently came across a small trove of Pfluegers. I'm gonna go check them out in greater detail again soon...maybe I'll find some in good shape for my fiberglass rods.
  4. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +368 / 0
    Hey bitterroot, is cork upside down on purpose?
  5. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    This is/has been a slippery slope...
    Older bench-made reels are real works of art & craftsmanship. I'm especially partial to those with genuine agates (esapecially the red ones) used for line guides. Here's a few of them;
  6. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Luke,

Reverse half wells grip.

Greg, Nice reel collection!
  7. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +248 / 1
    My most often used reel is the Hardy Marquis #6 at 3 1/4" dia. I have three frames and 5 or 6 spools. There are also a variety other Hardy's from the new Cascapedia to old Flyweights and a few in between. In addition there are reels by JW Young, JA Forbes, Hardy made Orvis and a few others.
    All in all, too many. I like reels but I don't collect them. My eye is always towards usability without worry. Hence the bag full of Marquis, Young's and Forbes.

TC
  8. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    You're all too correct, Tim. But like I said, it can be a slippery slope so my collection has grown some over the years. I've found doing the historical research on them brings a lot of enjoyment, especially when the rivers are up and difficult like they are right now. There's so much history and tradition in fly fishing, and admiring (and using) some of the older reels and rods has added a lot of fun for me.
    I use my JW Young 14A and the two pictured 15A's (mid '20's- late "30's) a lot for trout, and the Farlows BWP from New Zealand (pictured w/the large ports) is a great reel w/a unique (for the time period) adjustable drag. I also really like a little 3" Young Perfect "clone" w/red agate line guide that I bought after these photos were taken. I use a Hardy St. George from the 1960's as well. to balance my Granger 9050. The early Hardy 3 screw St. George shown I've not used although it's in great condition. I also collect a few W. Dingleys - just wonderful reels all.
    All of these reels were extremely well made and are quite usable as is. They were made "on the bench" and it shows. I luv 'em all!
  9. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been a HUGE fan of JW Young reels...simple and will still be used on the water for another 70 yrs.
    [IMG]

And also the Heddon Daisy Reels

[IMG]
  10. hardyguy Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Very impressive Greg, I love those red agate Reels

R.Law
    hardyguy
  11. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    i love old american reels. neat to look at and still work great for trout.
    (forgot to attach the picture here)
    i have this shelf on my office wall and really enjoy looking at them when i can't be on the water.
    -mike
  12. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
  13. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    That's a nice bunch of reels Mike!
  14. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Sweet Mike!!!!
  15. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
    Very nice, ideed, Mike.:thumb:
    I'll take #7 & #19;)
  16. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    I think someone has Pflueger Pfever..................:rofl:
  17. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
    Hey..I'll "man up".
    I like the little buggers! Especially the old round line guides models.:thumb:
  18. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

19. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Nice Flybill! I especially like the reel seat and hardware in that top photo....understated elegance.

Lonnie
  20. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    ya, those old pfluegers are neat.