Classic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Mark, do you get the feeling that Tonemike isn't quite ready to sell you those reels?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2. thanks for the reel comments guys!
    none of the reels were very costly, but they're all mechanically perfect and i still use half of them.
    my wife got the shelf for an advent calendar, but i found a better use for it and she's a good sport.
    i am partial to pflueger reels, but i also like the old johnson magnetic, cortland, system1, l.l. bean,
    bronson, orvis madison, ted williams, russell, martin, and langley. i guess i really like them all. i did sneak one german
    reel into the lot. i couldn't resist the "DAM quick" reel. you gotta admit, that's a cool name!

3. Why are they numbered? Are you 'that guy' that hangs his tools on pegboard in the garage with an outline of the tool that belongs in a particular place drawn on the pegboard? :)

4. Mike
    I just have to add my complements. That is a really great collection of reels.

TC

5. thanks Tim!

Denny,
    i think it was for the days in december till the "advent" of Christmas. each day, the child gets a matchbox car, lego guy, chocolate, or something very small (one within each numbered square). i think it hold reels far better than little toys and chocolates, but i'm a bit biased. and currently, i don't have any pegboard hung anywhere, but i do like the stuff.

6. Kinda' like Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa!:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. where is ww?

8. I was wondering the same thing! This thread will go nuts when he starts posting up!

9. ...*slobber slobber*...:) Some very nice reels!

I'll get started soon...I promise...

10. Here are a few of my JW Youngs, Heddon Daisys, and an Ocean City #305

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG][/IMG]
    Pfluger lover!:thumb:

[​IMG]
    Ocean City

[​IMG]
    Searly

[​IMG]
    Young

[​IMG]
    Young

[​IMG]
    Marquis

[​IMG]
    Zenith

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Young
    [​IMG]
    some of the reels were gone, but some still working with me...I have to admit though, it's really addictive to fish those classic reels and fiberglass rods! : )

12. I like the blue-collar reels that just go on and on working with no fuss. Here are some on-stream pics of the reels I use the most:

An early Beaudex 3" on an R. Sealey Tudor Lightweight 7' rod:

[​IMG]

Orvis CFO IV Hardy-made Click-Pawl on an Orvis 99 7' 3 1/2 oz rod:

[​IMG]

Orvis CFO III Disc on a custom 7'6" rod:

[​IMG]

Orvis Battenkill 5/6 Click-Pawl on an Orvis Battenkill 7'6" 3 7/8 oz rod:

[​IMG]

Orvis Battenkill Mark IV on a re-finished Goodwin Granger Aristocrat 8040:

[​IMG]

The same Mark IV on a WM Granger Special 8642:

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Kenneth

13. Again, some nice reels being posted! I have yet to be bitten by the Pflueger Pbug, although I have a couple of old Trump reels that came as part of a package deal. Like Greg I gravitate towards the bench made reels from the 20s and 30s, although I have a wandering eye and there is no telling what might set of my 'oddball meter'. Which is how I wind up with something like this StrikeRight Wonderflo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Young reels in particular seem to find their way to my house on a regular basis. The oldest one I have, (that I know of) is this Pattern 2A by J. W. Young that was introduced in 1925. Note that it has an on/off check and a palming rim that contrary to popular belief is not a 'recent' invention. Although it did seem to take a half century to be "re-invented"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And you can't forget about the ever popular 'ex' reels that Young began introducing after the war. The Beaudex, Condex, Landex, Pridex, Freedex, etc. Here's a trio of early Beaudex reels in black, with the square lineguard.

[​IMG]

And I do have an entire shelf devoted to American made reels. Not as many as Mike - but like most collections it's a work in progress. I took a severe liking to the early two spring Shakespeare Russells and to some extent variations of the single spring when they switched over. From those that I have handled, the two spring variety is a much smoother operating reel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Yuhina,
    Beautiful rod/reel combos!

Kenneth,
    Beautiful rod/reel combos as well. Looks like you are a fan of Orvis. I bought my first Battenkill click drag and I love it. Wanna get some cfo's now!

WW,
    'bout time! As always, thanks for posting up some of your awesome collection!

Lonnie

15. Great reels everyone!

WW; Your Strikeright "Wonderflow" is a keeper. What a lineguard - quite unique!

16. These next two are what I would consider pseudo-American reels.

The Heddon was assembled here from parts made in Japan. Don't ask me why 'cause I really don't know. My suspicion is that it may have had somethng to do with import duties and such. These Heddons are considered 'clones' of the Hardy Lightweight series with the 320 matching the Princess and so on down the line. I still have a couple of Hardy Princess reels and have owned a few others...and with my eyes closed I can't tell them apart from the Heddons when winding them. A great value in a basic blue-collar reel!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The great pro-American company of Herters had these reels imported for them from Germany. Made by DAM and measuring 3-1/4" in diameter with an on/off check. I dig the dual grips and wish more reels were made this way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Some sexy reels here!

18. Very nice collections, Everyone! keep them coming!! : )