Classic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    I have one of the Fly Champ reels too. It was my Dad's.
  2. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +341 / 0
    That's cool, John. The most cherished rods and reels are the ones we inherit.
  3. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Early in this thread someone mentioned the Johnson Magnetics. I went back and looked for the post but somehow I missed it. It's getting past my bedtime but we need some more pictures.

The Johnson Magnetics...curious reels that I believe were once endorsed by the man himself; Lee Wulff. Inside there are no gears, pawls, or springs, just a spindle for the spool to slip over and held in place magnetically. I once checked to see where the magnets are - spool or spindle - but I've since forgotten...old age I reckon.

As far as I know they came in two sizes. The Model 3 and the Model 5.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    hey WW,
    i love my johnson no.3. those graphics on your no.5 look pretty darn cool.
  5. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    I've never seen anything like it. Cool!
  6. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
  7. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Some Local Flavor

Here is a reel that I bought just because of where it was made - Vashon, WA
    I tried to get more information on it from the web and pretty much came up dry. My last stop was at the ORCA board and here is the information I got back from a member posting as Reel Geezer

I would note that the diameter dimensions given above refer to the spool diameter as my reel has an overall OD of 3-1/2"

The reel uses an offset caliper spring to provide more resistance on the payout and a friction center drag which can be engaged when needed. This thing is tight as a drum with absolutely no spindle play. It shows very few signs of use, if in fact it was ever used at all.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    Cool reel. I would like to find one some day.
  9. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Early on I mentioned that I had a couple of Pluegers that came to me in a package deal. They are both stamped identical: Plueger Trump No.576. However, one of them is an aluminum cage and the other is made of brass.

The weight difference is substantial: 4.4oz vs 2.9oz. I wouldn't consider these significant in any historical way other than the fact that they are not Medalists! :) I have to imagine that these and their Progress cousins were sold pretty cheap, and by the number of them that turn up for sale, did a brisk business.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
  11. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +117 / 0
  12. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here is a couple of my favorite combonations for our Steelhead...
    FF85 with 3 3/4" Pridex and an FF92 with a 4" Landex

[IMG][/IMG]
  13. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    The Beaudex

I would like to preface this post with some acknowledgement to some sources. First off, there is a wealth of information available about J. W. Young reels at The Classic Fly Rod Forum. A great bunch of enthusiasts that have and still do post up photos of reels, but of old catalogs and such to help trace the history of Young reels. In particular, a poster with the handle of bulldog1935 has been wonderful about sharing what he knows – which seems to have no end. Secondly, there was a book recently published by a gentleman named Elwyn Attwood (Rupe) titled J. W. Young & Sons - A Century of the Art of Making Fishing Reels - available through www.medlarpress.com. Rupe manage to go through the Young catalogs during the process of writing his book. This was extremely important as Young’s mainstay was not as a retailer, but a wholesale manufacturer that sold their reels to others for retail sales and thus most prewar Youngs carry the retailers stamp instead of their own.

When WWII broke out Youngs already had over fifty years experience making reels. This was put aside to machine parts for fighter and bomber aircraft for the war effort and the production of reels didn’t resume until the final months of the war.

Before hostilities interrupted the flow of events, Youngs was in the process of redesigning some of their reels and these were introduced after the war.

One of these was the Beaudex.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Attwood reports these reels replaced the Pattern 14A in their lineup. This reel and its simpler cousin the Pridex, both benefited from design features of what came before them. It is quite apparent that Young considered the ability to adjust end play on the spindle due to wear or personal preference an important feature. The spool release latch and the robust inner workings were also designs that carried through to the post war models.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Another thing that carried through from the prewar days was marking their reels for retailers. However, it appears that not everyone was the recipient of this practice as Garcia sold them with the J.W. Young & Sons badge intact. Other sellers had theirs stamped in addition to the Young badge.

[IMG]

Which ever way they were brought to market, the reels came in sizes suitable for everything freshwater from brook trout to salmon. The Beaudex was available in ¼” diameter increments from 3” through 4” with the larger sizes also available in wider widths.

[IMG]

Produced from 1945-1969 the cosmetics of the reel evolved with the times - different porting patterns on the spool, different finishes ranging from the crinkle finish of left over war paint to polished and lacquered drums of the later years. During the 24 years of its run, the inner workings of the reels change very little. The most significant change being the design concession to the popularity of left hand wind reels. And although the line guard changed a few times, it was still easy to spot a Young reel.

[IMG]

With where I live, and the kind of fishing I primarily do, I could probably get by with a single 3-1/2” Medium Width Beaudex for everything from stillwater to steelhead.

[IMG]

…but then…where’s the fun in that! :)
  14. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    great post and pix WW. ya, "bulldog" is a wealth of informatioN and has a very cool collection of young reels as well. as always, your clear close-ups are appreciated.
    -mike
  15. Kenneth Yong Member

Rome, Italy
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    WW,

Thanks for some fantastic pictures and a great write-up of some of my favorite reels -- I especially like the early Beaudex with the rectangular line guard. These are three that I use regularly, the one in the center, a 3.25", being the one that sees the most action.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards,
    Kenneth
  16. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    As WW indicates, Rupe Atwoods book is a fantastic and probably the best resource for those interested in J.W. Young reels. Being both fantastic and best you gotta have it. :)

TC
  17. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Fantastic posts guys!

Pretty amazing to see how the flyreel has evolved over the years, and in some way's very little!

And that we still prefer to use them instead of letting them gather dust in a box or on a shelf..
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    _WW_, sonofabeech that was an awesome J. W. Young and Son's display and a lot of dropped knowledge. Thank you!
  19. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    More Beaudex bits...

Hey Ken, a nice trio of Beaudex reels you have there! Oddly enough the 3-1/4" size is one that I don't have. :hmmm:

The one with the crinkle finish and the other with the smooth finish are pre-1948 reels. You can tell by the wording on the badges. In October of 1947 Youngs became a limited company and the badges were changed to reflect that with the addition of "LTD"

Here's an ad from 1959 by Garcia showing their lineup of Young reels.

[IMG]

And another catalog page from UK retailer Alex Martin in 1953.

[IMG]

And here's a few fun videos showing Lee Wulff Salmon fishing with a Beaudex. A curiosity of these films is that it appears that Lee Wulff is using an early lefthand reel - I've never seen one but perhaps Lee used his considerable influence to get one made or converted?

20. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    More Beaudex bits...

This one is truly an amazing creature, and I gathered it up because of its Northwest connection. Designed and made by John Shaw of Grants Pass, Oregon, these reels featured a floating disc drag - of near automotive quality! Built to be used as either a fly reel or a trolling reel it gave the salmon angler a single action reel with true stopping power and was eventually manufactured for tarpon as well. Named after the river that flows through Grants Pass - The Rogue Reel.

More information is available here: http://www.oldreels.com/rogue.htm

[IMG]
    [IMG]