Classic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    WW,
    thanks for posting the catalog page.
    any chance you have a line on the old rectangular line guides for a beaudex. mine has a substantial groove from use, but the reel is in great condition. it has the older black thin reel foot that allows me to put it on nearly any rod. it's the 3 3/8 x 7/8" version. i may just file it carefully to make sure it won't abrade my lines in the future, but a newish line guide would be better imo. any ideas?
    -mike
  2. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm a Medalist guy at heart. The duct tape keeps me honest.
    [IMG]
  3. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    nothing wrong with duct tape repairs cliff. what rod do you have that reel mounted to? looks like some classic glass,
    but i can't tell??
    -mike
  4. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Mike, that is one of my favorite rods. It's the first bamboo rod I bought back in 1995, from Mark Ruhe, of Bitterroot Rods. Mark closed his shop a few years ago and I'm grateful that I was able to get two of his rods before he closed. This one is his Selway model, an 8ft 5wt based on a Dickerson taper. Since it was my first bamboo rod it sort of holds a special place in my heart.

Cliff
  5. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I was able to put a couple of steelies on my 4" Beaudex Salmon this summer. Not as throaty as a Hardy but it sings pretty.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I also picked up a little Martin reel that I use on my 3 wt......
    [IMG]
  6. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    Damn. I love this thread. Six pages and not one Hardy. You guys rock.
  7. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +570 / 0
    Hey Mike - I've had to file one of those myself and discovered that underneath the shiny silver finish it was brass. I looked through my boneyard box and don't have a square guide in there. A couple things you might do... Ebay another reel to have for parts or as a backup. Or you might check with Mill tackle - http://www.milltackle.co.uk/
    I haven't had any success getting the guy to answer my emails in the past, but bulldog seems to be able to get an annual order from him so perhaps contacting him could be an avenue.
    Good luck!
  8. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    thanks WW. i guess i'll file it and talk to Ron.
    -mike
  9. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    I just got Pflueger GEM 2094. A sweet little reel. Can't wait to line it up and get it out on the water.
  10. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +30 / 0
  11. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
  12. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
  13. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +677 / 2
  14. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

15. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    As I understand it, it's a double guide 1592...you don't see too many of those!
  16. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I'm sure you're correct on that. Thanks.
  17. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    A couple from Sweden

As you might have guessed by now I have a soft spot for simple click pawl reels. Adjustable or not, it doesn’t matter to me as long as there is a pawl, a gear, and a spring. And the simpler the mechanism, the more I like it.

Here is a single click pawl reel from A.B. Urfabriken, later to become the ABU of ABU Garcia fame. It sports a baked enamel finish and a screw in the end of the spindle for run out adjustment. A nice tight reel that could have used a leaded finish to do it justice. The resemblance to the prewar Young reels is very apparent. So much so that it is hard to believe it is mere coincidence.

The Record – 3-1/2” diameter and an inside spool width of 7/8”

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I already owned the reel above when I saw this Urbafriken 'Double' for sale. I thought 'how nice' that will go well with the 'Record on my shelf. In the seller’s photos it was quite dusty and there were no shots of the insides but I took a chance anyway.

What I expected was a friction drag similar to an Ocean City 76 or something:

[IMG]

However, when I opened it up…it was not quite so simple. Ahh…those Swedes!

[IMG]

There is a bit of labor involved to switch the handedness, but it is convertible. Oddly enough, when I got it, the reel was setup for RHW but the line was wound on LHW! I bet that was a ton of fun… :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here’s the pair of them together.

[IMG]

I’ve been told there is one more reel in this “series”. I have no idea what it looks like or how it’s built but I have a feeling I’ll be able to spot it when I see it. When I do see it, the sound you’ll hear will be my checkbook groaning once again.
  18. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    I just read through this whole thread again...wow! There are some nice reels in here. I'm getting fired up to go shopping again! :)

This one hails from Christchurch, New Zealand. The F. Steans & Coy LTD reel has the reel makers stamp to the inside of the winding plate: E. J. Brown, one of the best reel makers in New Zealand. Mr. Brown also produced reels under his own name.

These reels came in two sizes only; 3-5/8" and 3-7/8" with the one pictured below being the latter size. I have seen these in the copper color pictered below and also in black, both being an anodized finish. Produced for a time in the 50's, the Steans reels were near enough to a Hardy Perfect that Hardy claimed patent infringements and had production shut down - or so the story goes. I haven't verified this story with any "official" accounts and so - take it with a grain of salt.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
  20. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    Nice reels Mark!