Classic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Wow, 30+ years? That reel looks brand new!

2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Re: Hardy St. John. Yes, in good shape. I use a lot and baby it. Can be a knuckle buster sometimes.

3. [WR]

[WR] Member

Am currently winding up another 90 days on the road, this time in Oxford Ala,. and one of my coworkers this morning hands me a Ted Wiiliams 135 and asks me what it's worth. Seems our resident picker gave it to him just before he left for vacation, and only knows it's an old fly reel.

So, being the only guy in the team that fly fishes, they turn to me. Honestly i'm caught flat footed. I know it wuld look great on a classic bamboo rod, but that's it.

Where can i find more information on this reel? i was able to tell that it's probably a Martin contract reel, and that's about it.

So, i'm asking the group for help becuase i know there's more of a classic reel brain trust here than anyplace else.
    [WR]

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

5. [WR]

[WR] Member

Thank you, these 3 links will help a lot more than some might think.
    [WR]

6. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

I believe that is a Martin MG9 or maybe one size smaller, maybe aan MG10. Regardless, They are stalwart and sturdy reels and top end sale is usually about fifty bucks. They are well worth it and yes they are really good reels
    Paul

7. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Recent Arrival

This is one that I recently aquired from a seller in France. I've spent a couple of weeks researching this one as it is a little outside of what I normally collect.

This design was first made as far back as 1903, but went un-named until about 1916. The gun metal finish featured on this reel was discontinued around 1924 which give this sample an eight year window of manufacture...give or take.

The Portage 'Seminole' - an early effort from what we now know as Pflueger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nice find!!! will you use it or admire it only?

9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I'm thinking I can spool up a 3wt line on it and at least try it a couple times. After that novelty wears off I will either display it for awhile and then sell it so someone else can enjoy it.

10. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

WOW... what a cute nice reel... would be wonderful to find one for my fiberglass!! very cool WW

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Wayne,

That one is in beautiful condition especially considering it's crossed the pond - twice!
    Itis easy to see the Pflueger lineage in the handle, reelfoot, etc.
    Nice score!

12. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I recently found a Stuart reel to mount of my Horrocks-Ibbotson Buddy solid glass rod.

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Nice find Dave! I've got a couple of Stuarts that I've yet to photograph...if I remember right that model is one of them.

14. bulletsnhooks

bulletsnhooks Pat Coleman

15. looks nice! never seen this before, do you have more photos (maybe of the internal works as well?)

16. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

17. Brookie_Hunter

Cool. I like the black face on yours. That would look sharp on my Buddy too but I think I still would prefer my all silver one as the blank on the Buddy is the same color.

18. Brookie_Hunter

19. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I don't fish it. A friend of mine in Florida gave it to me. if i were to put it to use it'd pair it with a Heters 8'6" fiberglass rod I started with years ago.

GBeeman

20. Brookie_Hunter

That would be a nice pair if you did.