CLASSIC SALMON FLIES

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by saltyer, Aug 20, 2009.

1. saltyer New Member

Scotland
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice. Over 30 years of tying classic salmon flies I have collected the patterns for approx. 3000 flies & am considering publishing them. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who could be interested in publishing ?
    Barry
  2. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
  3. SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I would contact Marc Hanger at the Whitefish Press (http://www.whitefishpress.com/index.asp) He specializes in publishing similar type books. Look at the about us page and there is a good explanation about what they do.

Good luck.

Jim
  4. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Barry:

Here are two approaches for finding a publisher for a specialized book:

1. More of the same: Contact publishers that have put out similar or related books in the last decade or two.

2. Something different: Contact publishers that, based on their overall output, might be expected to have published a book on the same subject recently, but who haven't. Perhaps you can whet their appetite, and get them to think "Why haven't we done this yet?"

In the internet age, every (?) publisher has a website, so they're easy to contact.
  5. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    well if you do get it published make sure and you post it on here cuz that will probably sell 100+ copies :D
  6. davpot davpot

Cornelius, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello Barry:
    If I were you, Id take a look at "classicflytying.com" (salmon flies). Someone over there from your Island is thinking of publishing material on the history of salmon flies. I believe he's in Scotland. You might want to contact him.
    Dave in Oregon