Cleaning a Stanchion block

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by cmann886, May 13, 2011.

1. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I acquired a couple of scaefer clamp-on stanchion blocks to use on an anchor system on a raft frame. One of the blocks had a stickey residue on it and I can't get it to turn freely. The other one is like a roller blade wheel it turn so easily. I've tried soaking it in acetone overnight, hot water, WD-40, tooth brush, Q-tip, all of the above again and still can't get it to turn freely. :beathead: Does anyone have any other suggestions? The residue on the block's housing has come off without any problems, but the bearings still seem to be sticking.

2. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I finally tried using a poly rope spliced into a loop after it was threaded through the block, used a drill with a buffer as a wheel and spun the pully as fast as I could and spraying the bearing with a carb cleaner. (toluene, acetone, and other chemicals) After several minutes, things freed up quite a bit. Following the cleaning and air drying I used some WD-40. It still isn't as good as new but a remarkable improvement from what it was.