Clear Lake, Spokane County? Ecological Disaster??

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Dustin Bise, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Ok so I went and explored clear lake today. I hike the NE side of the lake after gaining access by trespassing for 30 feet (sue me, but the whole water front was "no trespassing" and pissed me off).

I hike along the base of the cliffs and managed one 12 inch small mouth. On my way out i stopped by the public launch and almost had a heart attack.

Along the shore and in the water where hundreds and hundreds of small fish (~6") floating dead. They were on shore too. At the same time I observed a very large amount of this size of fish rising to the surface, and a fisher on his way in said he had caught around 50 in the last hour.

I can think of 2 possible solutions, and I need you to put my mind to rest here.

1. Fish were recently planted in large numbers in this area and the dead fish are the fish that didnt survive the transition from the hatchery. This is what I assume happened.

2.Clear lake is an ecological nightmare. Maybe some strong chemical was dumped or possibly there is something else foreign in the water killing off the fish.

Please tell me it was door number one so I can stop turning this over in my mind.
  2. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Perhaps the lake had been selected for routine poisoning with reotone (sp?) specifically to kill those little fish that you saw?

That would be my guess. I've run into that situation before and it is a little shocking when you first see it.
  3. Dustin Bise Active Member

Does anyone know for sure what is going on here? I can't stop thinking about it.
  4. sjterry Sr. Lurker

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Check the stocking report for when it was last planted with fingerling trout.
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ah ok, I will look for that.

I called the DoFW and they are supposed to get back to me with an official answer as well.
  6. Dustin Bise Active Member

Only info im finding is and APR MARCH plant of around 100,000 fryling and 40,00 others size. I had no idea they planted fish in such huge numbers.

Brown Trout - 812 8,000 Mar- Apr 43,275 Fry
    RainbowTrout - 8-12, 30,000 Mar-Apr 62,332 Fry
    TRB 14"+ 1459 Apr
  7. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    You never said what type of fish were dead? :confused:
  8. Dustin Bise Active Member

trout, i think. all around the same size 4-6 "
  9. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    My guess is that it just got a little too hot, and knocked off some that couldn't take the heat. Happens pretty often in Eastern Wa lakes.

High water temps = low oxygen
  10. Dustin Bise Active Member

I think ill go back tommorow and take some pictures.