click pawl reelz

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Inland will build one, but about 8 times the price you suggest (tongue-in-cheek?), and a 6 month wait. I am not sure how he does it, but the sound is almost scary. I jumped when I pulled a little line off Poppy's reel at the Sandy Clave. It makes a Hardy green with envy.

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    What I think you have there is a Young's Pattern No. 9 General Spinning Reel made for Allcocks which they identified as reel number 8937. Basically it is a wide drum center pin reel.
    Seeing the inside would confirm it. Does the inside of the spool have four 'spokes'? Is the pawl mounted to a bar and activated with a lever on the outside of the backplate?

J. W. Young & Sons built reels for practically everyone. Milwards, Allcocks, Cummins, Gamages, Farlows, Foster Bros., Sage, Garcia, Orvis...you get the picture. There is even evidence that they produced limited reels for Hardy.

3. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It is! WW.

Good eye. My friend who restored this reel told me it could be used in either way. In this particular reel there is no line guard with it. I am not a collector like my friend, so I have very limited information about this reel. The info on back of the reel : S. Allcocks & CO LTD
    REDDITCH ENGLAND REGD TRADE MARK with a stag illo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Riffling Hitch

Riffling Hitch Member

Media:
    I like it yuhina, great with the fenwick. Who said large arbor was a new thing. I really like the ones like the marquis with a palming rim.
    The SA's are a deal and you can pick up a system 10 or 11 within your budget and it would work great on your rod. I have a system 11 and it balances a 12' 6" rod great with all the room needed.

Russell

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    WW, what rod(s) do you match that Gordon to? Can it hold the big ol' rope that an 8wt spey throws?

6. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I would have to say no. However, although rare, you sometimes see wide spool versions of these come up for sale which might hold a Skagit head for an 8wt.
    I've mounted this reel on 10' 7 & 8wts of the single hand variety and for a short time on a 12' 6wt two hander. I was given a 3-5/8" Perfect which worked out better for the short spey but the reel was awesome for the singlehanders...in fact I plan on doing it again this summer!

The reel is marked at 3-1/2" But this is the outside diameter of the reel. Since it is a fully caged reel the actual spool diameter is more like 3-3/16"

If you want to go vintage without the cost of buying an old Hardy you could try a 4" Beaudex wide spool...probably outlast a Hardy and will surely out last you. They go for under $100 all the time on the bay.

Most of mine come from England. Sometimes with old sticky and rotting silk line on them and almost always filled with what appears to be dried up old wagon axle grease. What is wrong with those people! Takes a little time to clean them up but after you do they usually purr like a new one. A testament to their original quality. Large spindles, hardened pawls and gears, and virtually unbreakable springs...I was sold the first time I opened one up.

7. Nozzelnut

Nozzelnut New Member

Just curious, what's the name of the red grease you guys are using?

Thanks

8. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Quantum Hot Sauce

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Show off

10. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
  11. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

That`s a cool reel WW . I like the pillars and line guard . Is the reel foot "L" shaped ?

12. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Yep...the line guard was why I had to have it!
    Pretty much all stamped metal with all the shiny stuff stainless steel.
    Notice the nylon gear! Yet it still clicks when line pays out. The pawl has two slots for converting the hand. The badge looks like it was hammered out in someone's garage.
    I think these were pretty much a inexpensive blue collar reel back in the day...1960s?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Here is a F. Steans & Coy from New Zealand with the maker's name on the inside of the winding plate. A 3-7/8" reel in the style of a Hardy Perfect...so much so that it is rumored Hardy litigated to stop their production.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/1385

Noz,

The link above has great information about cleaning reels...
    Hope this help. Mark

15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice looking reel! WW

Regard to the similarity issues, I remember it happened to Orvis CFO I too. Can't remember which company though...:hmmm:

16. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Awesome Reel WW. I love my "Click and Pawl Reel" as well. OH According to one of our technical guys-- Salmo G They are not called click and pawl reels. I just read this from another post. I never heard the term spring and pawl. Anyone else?

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=302752

17. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Tomayto, tomawto...
    You never know what it is that will get some one going! :)

The term is not quite as inaccurate as he thinks. There are lots of methods to getting a reel to click. There are the Plueger type plunge pin designs that have a spring behind the plunge pin but no pawl – these still click. I’ve handled a lot of reels including one by Wilby that has the gear on the spool and a specially shaped spring to engage the gear instead of a pawl, yet it clicks right along.

Earlier designs incorporated what is called a “caliper check.” Spring and pawl of a different configuration used extensively at the turn of the previous century but still in use by Ocean City et al in the 50s. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see the configuration still in use today by a manufacturer somewhere. Replacement of parts due to wear is troublesome to say the least.

Two examples of the Ocean City caliper checks from the 50s:

[​IMG]

And exactly where does that 'click' come from? Like Salmo _g, I had always assumed it was from the interaction of the pawl and gear.
    But here is one with a nylon gear:

[​IMG]

This reel has a very soft sound on the retrieve. The type of sound you would expect with a nylon gear - muted, mushy sounding. On the pay out there is a very distinctive, louder, metallic click which drowns out completely the pawl and nylon gear sound! The sound has to come from the top corner of the pawl hitting the spring. This revelation gives another meaning to "tuning the springs."

One of the last reels that Young made included the typical flat bent spring to a pawl and also a disc drag. You have the option of using either independently or together in tandem. Someday I'll get my hands on one of these!

Click and pawl, or spring and pawl...everyone knows we're not talking disc drag.

[​IMG]

18. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have a Penn Freshwater 4 that employs a similar system .

19. inland

inland Active Member

Kineya is using that style of caliper spring. Several reels today use a variation of a caliper- Hodge and Sons (SD Design) and Saracione being two that come to mind. Either to make a nice sound or actual over-run check.

I think the Brits have a good term for these types of 'drag' systems by calling it a 'check mechanism'. Covers most of the bases.

I am partial to the term "gear and pawl" however any of the common names work.

William

20. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Saracione! Yikes! Out of my budget.bawling:

And here is one that may be similiar too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]