Clouser critique?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sawyer, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

The Orvis #9034 stainless steel hooks have a beautifully formed, fully closed eye. Cheap hooks = cheap flies.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  2. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

I'll look at the Orvis hooks online, I haven't seen them at Gig harbor fly shop or Puget sound fly Co

3. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

I've seen the same open eye issue on gammy's and owners too. I bet there's a rare bird in the orvis hook too...even at $13/25.

I agree, cheap hooks = cheap flies...but using the SHANK of a hook that hasn't had the HOOK POINT laser edged, chemically sharpened, and dipped in moose turds doesn't make for a lesser STINGER clouser. It just means I'll have beer money later on.

4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

the only expensive hooks i use on the front hook of a stinger (i never use a 2 hook rig because it damages fish) are when i need a really light wire so smaller diameter foam will float well... but for clousers cheap mustads work excellent paired with a sticky sharp gami or owner stinger.

5. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I hate Gami hooks. I keep getting stuck by the stringer, and those dam Gamis go deep.

CLO likes this.
  6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

The Allen SW002 are a good choice at ~$6/25. I haven't had any issues with them as a sacrificial or primary hook. Although, they appear to be out of stock currently.

7. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

I've tied clousers on expensive SS and on the less expensive (mustad) and other than the fact that you need to sharpen the second for the money there is no better

8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

From Gig Harbor Fly Shop - 100 Mustad 3407DT size 1 $12.99

It's what I used for the stinger Clouser swap. Hard to beat that price, and they're just for shanks anyway.

9. dibling

dibling Active Member

New to the tying game here. When you guys mention tying a stinger hook to another cheaper hook, how are you securing / tying the stinger on?

10. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Hairline dubbin Senyo's Intruder trailer wire and you can also use Fireline
    When your tying on Fireline, you have to tie it one, then run it back thru the eye and back down the shank toward the bend of the hook and superglue the crap out of it.

With Senyo Intruder wire, just run it up the top hook shank toward the eye, no need to run thru the eye because the Senyo wire has a coating on it that the thread bites into, super glue and wrap over the glue until you can't see the color of the Senyo wire ( that's what I do, may not be necessary )

Also, you have to use Octopus hooks, if you don't when you run the wire thru the eye your hook will be off kilter.

I'll post pics later so you get the idea of how to properly thread it thru if you want.

Good luck!

11. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

uploadfromtaptalk1405222329146.jpg

Hope these help!

Attached Files:

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

You really don't need to go thru the eye of the hook. But it is good to make a solid thread base, then double it back with any stinger material. Mono always seems to be my favorite. I also like senyo's intruder wire, just not on the beach as it always seems to get shredded once it hits the barnacle encrusted rocks a couple times

13. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

I had some issues last year with my Miya poppers and others sinking after getting fished a little and beat up, you have a specific hook recommendation (light wire) you use to keep the foam floating? I was using some big 34 series from Mustad, lesson learned.

14. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Howabout a plastic tube?

15. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

Yeah, makes sense. That's a road I haven't traveled down yet...

16. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

HMH micro tube would probably work pretty well.

17. trout_bum23

trout_bum23 New Member

looks good. I've had the best luck on chartreuse and white with a little flashabou in between. cant wait til those acrobatic suckers start rollin in next month!

18. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Saw 5 jump last Sunday, a boat get another, and a pair of seals get a few more. They are here

Sawyer likes this.
  19. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

Shhhhhhhh

20. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Dude I'm talking about pass lake