clueless on whidbey

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bwillroll, Aug 15, 2005.

1. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

I'm looking to fish from the beaches on Whidbey later this week, but am unsure of where to go? I'm normally a trout guy, but am very interested in fly fishing from the beach. Is there a lot of public beach access on Whidbey? Any places that would be better bets then others? Time of day matter or tide? Hope I'm not asking to much. Thanks again.

2. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

If you live on So. Whidbey and know anyone at Sandy Hook there is good cutthroat fishing off the beach south of the pool and even salmon fishing at high tide in the boat channel, also from the beach. There are a number of places for steelhead from the beach during the winter,Bush Point, Mutiny Bay,Admirals Cove etc.

3. TomB

TomB Active Member

try the spit by the keystone ferry terminal...there a surely a few fish and most likely a few more fishermen. The deception pass area also has the same combination. Whidbey has not been hot though. Maybe a few more weeks.
    -Tom

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I'd suggest Keystone area. The point or the stretch of beach in Admiralty Bay from the rate station north. There is a lot of beach there to fish, and plenty of room.

Locations like Bush Pt and Lagoon Pt. are great beach fishing spots, but it's a little tight for fly fishermen, especially on the weekends and high tides. It still may be worth giving a try though.

If it's a short trip, I'd suggest giving it a go now. I saw about 50 Pinks leave the beach on Friday, and saw the largest Puget Sound flounder grab a guys fly at Bush that I've ever seen. He took home 4 nice founder fillets :)

Good luck,
    Jeff

5. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I did really well for pinks off of Bush Pt and Mutiny bay 2 weeks ago. We were staying right on the beach at mutiny bay, not sure about access there.

6. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Jeff D hit the nail on the head. but, while you're there hit the point at Ft. Casey. Walk towards the right of it and remember that the fish are close to shore so there is NO need to be standing in the water. . This kind of gets guys standing on the beach a bit pissy since it drives the schools away from the shoreline. But, there is plenty of Public access. Another great spot to fly is North of this area on Ebey's Landing. Take Ebey road South to the Beach and you're there. Very nice beach with lots of Kelp beds to hold fish. Fish to the left under the bluff. (great Cutt Throat fishing as well).