Coffee - "Camp Coffee" AKA "Cowboy Coffee"

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Trapper Badovinac, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I kinda' am running a restaurant when I cook in hunting and fishing camps. The only difference is the menu is fixed well before we even get to the trailhead. I was really happy when we finally got a CostCo in Helena.

Trapper

Steve Call likes this.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Pretty much most of the time. But I learned long ago that just because you're in camp doesn't mean you can't eat well (sure MT Trapper is in same school of thought). Onto coffee, I burn up at least 1 36 cup perc in my small camps, usually have a second one going. In bigger camps I'm running 2 36 cups, then have 2 12 cups in reserve (may just buy another 36 soon). Have one of my camps I'm burning up 10 gallons of coffee every morning without fail.

LOL, I don't perc it that long, was just tongue in cheek. And when I do perc, it's a super slow perc. Rarely goes more then 10 minutes (and it's barely a gurgle, I keep temp as low as possible actually, but it's way my family has always done it).

JesseCFowl likes this.
  3. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

"Coffee Weenies"........should be added to the english lexicon.

4. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Complete agreement here.....My jetboil keeps me in whatever caffeinated state I need to be in, whether it is before I crawl out of my bag or while I am on the water. Coffee is too important to leave to chance. Seize the caffeine! Jetboil/frenchpress at will......

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    With enough Irish in the coffee, who gives a rat's ass what the coffee tastes like?:D

Jim Wallace likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I rarely drink coffee anymore, but "back in the day" in Montana round-up/branding camps . . . if the coffee wouldn't float a horseshoe, it wasn't good coffee . . .

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Exactly the same way we did it on the fishing boats in AK

8. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Can't see bottom at 40 fathoms

9. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:

Attached Files:

10. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

With all this talk about coffee, I made a pot of "guides/rolled/cowboy" coffee this afternoon at a gathering out in Port Angeles. I used good quality grounds and mixed the grounds with an egg to make it clumpy. I gotta tell you guys it was outstanding. I haven't made it that way in many years. Smooth yet strong and full bodied. My buddy's wife provided home-made cinnamon buns the size of cinder blocks:). Great stuff!
    Jack

11. kpb

kpb New Member

Check out the "Aero Press" coffee maker. its my favorite coffee maker for camping. May not be as convenient as a large pot of cowboy coffee but its way better tasting. I use it for my daily use - 1 pint after I get up and another pint to take to work. http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

12. FLGator

FLGator Member

I like my caffeine. That said, when I hunt and fish I really don't want to drink 20-40 oz of coffee before heading out. I read an article many years ago in Professional Bowhunter magazine written by Cory Matson on the virtues of the marimba. Basically it's a stove top espresso maker that makes a great cup of coffee in short order.

13. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Daryle, you can't even see your hand at 40 fathoms!!

14. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Put in eough cheap coffee in the pot to make your "hecker pard" then top off your cup with some Canadian Hunter to tone the hecker back down, perfect camp mixture for any backcountry acivity not involving projectiles that can kill, grease bombs are ok though :)

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  15. Oh-4wt

Oh-4wt New Member

Well it looks like coffee is different things to different people. I buy green beans and roast them twice a week. Not hard to do, you can use a hot air popcorn popper or one of the home roasters available. Your can roast in a fry pan over a fire at camp or stove. Do you know when your coffee was roasted? Pour over or French Press only for a proper cup. Like so many things you get out what you put in.

16. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Like Patrick, a couple pages back, my wife is the caffeine fiend. She has to have her espresso and games her machine like a pinball junkie. I'm not so picky but enjoy french press coffee at home. Caution blaspheme follows: On day hikes or camps, I often simply boil water and use the Starbucks Vias, I think their called. Skinny little packets. Finally an instant that tastes very good. I don't drink that much anyway and there is zero cleanup. Not cheap, but tasty simple and quick.

17. hooked 1

hooked 1 Member

Im a snob.It has to be strong ,full body,black!Anything less is uncivilized.

Scott

18. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I always save a little of my strong coffee that I brew first thing, for later in the afternoon. After it cools, a little bit in the bottom of a mug of good Porter or Stout will add some perk to said brew! Nothing like a home made espresso stout!

I just had one that I made with a bottle of Pyramid Outburst! Perfect for when you want to "go off" on some subject! This was an "espresso imperial dry-hopped pale ale!" :rolleyes: Awesome fortification for beach walking during a Spring storm.

19. Jordy Jordan

Jordy Jordan Panama Red

If you are trying to make a single cup of Coffee I highly recommend the Aeropress. I liked it so much on camping trips that I started using it at home. You can find it here. It makes a good cup of coffee and it cleans itself out during the brewing process so all you have to do is push out the used grinds.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  20. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Big Sky Brewing does a cowboy coffee porter, complete with some grounds every now and again!