Coho, coho, coho...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Matisse, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Nick Matisse New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all,

First post in a long time.. So long that I had to make a new username. Anyway, I'm in Seattle (ballard) for a week after a season of raft/fish guiding in Idaho and have nothing to do but fish until I fly out of here. I'm not familiar with this area so I'll be joining the crowds at the not-so-secret spots... If anyone in the north beach/blue ridge wants to get out, I'm planning on fishing mornings and evenings for the next 5 days. Silver Volkswagen with MA plates. I'll probably stay nearby but might head to vashon if nothing is happening. Stop by if you see me out there,

Nick
  2. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +276 / 0
    see ya out there
  3. Nick Matisse New Member

This north wind and the weeds are making life kind of difficult on the east side of MA-10. Is this the norm or does it clear up with a different wind?
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    These high pressure systems result in a fairly strong steady north to northwest wind which stirs up the eel grass beds. The wind builds as the heat of the day increases.
    You'll end up with a lot of salad. The wind can be particularly tough on right handed casters using single hand rods on east side of the sound beaches.
    I'm really hoping for some weather patterns that produce some fog, clouds or southerly winds.
    ten80 and Jason Rolfe like this.
  5. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Yeah it was tough this morning at LP. A stripping basket can help if you don't have one already.

Had to cast up onto the beach and send my backcast out to the water today, but that seems to reduce my distance by about 1/3, sometimes more. Finally gave up after about an hour. I think I need to practice my double haul a bit more. Fishing with my four weight all summer left me ill-prepared for the 7 weight on the beach!

Oh well, there will be other mornings.

J
  6. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Yeah but Brian, us west siders prefer the north wind to a south wind. :p Although I guess no heavy wind would be preferable for all.
  7. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    It's all about what side of the pond you choose to play on Matt, lol.
  8. Nick Matisse New Member

For lack of anything else to do I'm heading back out. Mid day and a good north wind but at least the waters moving. Worst comes to worst, I'll just work on my lefty cast. Who knows, maybe I'll hook a dog or jogger or something...
  9. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +229 / 3
    It may be blaspheme, but I always bring a back-up gear rod just in case the wind make casting impossible. At least I am still fishing.