Coho Crack

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Big E, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Anyone use this pattern out there? Just wondering if I should spend some time tying some up or not.

2. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

I fish a pattern very similar to that and do well with it for both coho and for SRC's. It's a simple pattern to tie and it catches fish so I would say you are not wasting your time if you tie a few up.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I've used one with a tan tail and gold bullethead but then it wouldn't be the same pattern, would it? It does work well, however.

4. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I've also fished tied that in orange and pink. The white/silver and orange caught fish over the winter. I haven't tried it recently, I'll have to give it a shot.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Like the others, I've tied one similar. Worked well in both salt and fresh water for feisty silvers.

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

OMG that's almost the super secret "cop car" fly...Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

7. Big E

not familiar with that pattern golfman...care to clue me in via pm's?

8. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

9. byrdland

byrdland New Member

With a marabou tail, I know that fly to be a "crystal bugger". It's a great fly in the Surf in the Gulf Of Mexico for Speckled Trout (Spotted Sea Trout) and Spanish Mackerel.

10. Big E

Haven't caught a coho on it yet....did catch a bullhead though. I've got too many flies to try out. Of course, not catching anything on any pattern (even proven) isn't conducive to testing how a pattern works.

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The only way to truly test the effectiveness of a given fly is to change while the fishing is hot. Not many people can do this.

Leland.

12. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Heh...the last time I tried that I discovered the buggers would hit anything! :)

13. rockfish

rockfish Member

I used to fish a pattern like that in green for silvers when they were abundant along the shore in the fall with good success. i was my go to fly for years

14. looks fishy to me. i've had good success on other similar patterns. green cactus chenille works too.