Coho in South Sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Andrew Shoemaker, May 3, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Anyone have any reports on what the coho fishing is like in the south sound area right now? Like Fox Island area or other spots? Thinking about targeting coho tomorrow instead of lake fishing or SRC fishing but ive never fished Coho before so dont really know much about where to fish, when to fish, and what resources to look for.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

Andrew, I hope you won't mind my suggestion that you do some searching here for this subject. It has been written about extensively. And while someone may chime in with some good current intelligence on South Sound coho for you, it will really bolster your explorations to benefit from the many comments shared here over the years.

3. rotato

rotato Active Member

Fished a few spots on my way to the shrimp hole yesterday
    Early tide had minimal movement
    Did hook a nice rezzie off of the island you mentioned two weeks ago
    Try fishing both sides of the low tide
    Good luck

4. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

I decided to not try for coho and stick with the usual SRC chase. Turns out the only thing that took the number of flies I threw out were coho smolt. So I guess I fished coho after all. Those buggers are real cute and all but there are real annoying when you trying to catch something larger than 6 inches.

5. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I know how you feel. My first fly caught coho in the salt was a 4" smolt caught in MA-13 in June. At the time I just laughed knowing my second saltwater coho would have to be bigger.

In past years, the month of May has produced some decent sized (19-20 inch) hatchery resident coho for me in MA-13. Blackmouth can be caught too on those rare cloudy, stormy days when they come in close to the beach. I haven't had time to fish down there this spring sadly. Adult sandlance should now be awake and available for the young rezzies to eat. Resident coho and blackmouth put up a great fight on a 6 weight fly rod, and are so fun when you find schools of them feeding. I hope that some WFF members are finding a few this year.

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.