Coho - Just a basic question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have tried to ask questions here before and have been put down by pompous responses.
    I will try again. I will try to keep an open mind and will not ask for information about your sacred fishing spots. Some people are trying to take up saltwater fly fishing, like myself, but some of the elitism will drive them away. That is too bad but I understand that it is what it is.

In general, coho come into the local area in august, september and october. I also understand that they tend to migrate to a rocky bottom.

Are there any general rules about coho? Catch and release searun cutthroat are not my thing. I will take what I can feed my family and no more. I am trying to show my grandson about conservation, nature and wildlife. On the other hand, my wife has reminded me that I haven't caught a salmon since she met me (8 years ago).

Thanks,
    Rick
  2. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Usually in most areas I think you are able to keep 2 adult wild coho, but please check the regs first. If your looking for a spot to go that isnt a zipper lip and just looking to have some fun head to Point no Point. You will find some people but there is usually some fish there too.

Jake
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    i dont know where you read or heard about a rocky bottom but the best beach coho spots around here seem to be sandy with a steep shelf and plenty of current.
    PnP in late july and august would be a good bet.
  4. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    and if you think you got pompous response before, after going back and looking at your posts, you need to get a little bit thicker skin... otherwise you wont stand a chance with the guys at Pnp.
  5. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Thanks. That is just what a beginner doesn't need to hear. Does anyone want to buy an unused 6 wt fly rod and reel?
  6. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    I could use another 6 wt! :beer1:

Seriously man, suck it up a bit... get past it.
  7. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Just about any point in Puget Sound with public access is going to have some sort of current, and probably some fish will pass by it at some point. My advice for coho is get up early, they can be caught all day, but I've found most of the fish I catch off the beach are early in the morning, right when the sun hits the water.

Search for some reports, look in the gallery here, I bet with some detective work you can find some beaches to go give it a shot. Read up on the regs and make sure you're fishing appropriate tackle for the area you're going to try, and that the fishery is open for your target species
  8. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    If its crowded at Point no Point just start casting and people will step aside with the buzz bombs :thumb: If they don't give you room you could always write them a farewell note :rofl:

send me a pm if your out in the area and we'll go fish sometime if your up for it.
  9. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    My god. Grow a pair. You have got good advice now its just a matter of putting that to use.
    Any point with a good current that will have the fish moving past it in the late summer/fall is worth a shot. Indian Island is one of my favorite places to go camp and chase fish for a couple days in August.
    There are also many points that you will not be able to see at anything but the lowest of tides. A low tide in the early morning is always a good bet.
  10. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Ditto on fishing points. If you have moving water you'll likely find fish.
    Areas 9 and 10 open in mid July for retention. As soon as they open they'll be fish to be caught. Make sure to check the regs if you plan on doing some bbq bonking, as the rules have changed for area 9 this year.
    If you want to hit the salt now, a portion of area 10 is open for C & R. Areas 11 and 13 are also open.
    The best way to gain experience in the coho game is to get out on the water. There is no reason to wait until August to hit the salt.
    Rocky or sandy bottom, it doesn't really matter that much as long as the water has decent tidal movement.
    If you sell your rod, what will you fish with?
  11. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/salmon/how_to_catch-marine.htm I found this a concise article on locating Salmon. Im still trying to figure out a way to catch Kings in the salt on the fly rod! Alot of salmon fishing is done with keeping your ear to the ground and pounding the pavement in search of the fish. Its more like hunting than it is fishing sometimes. If you're looking for Coho and want to get away from the crowds, as the article mentioned, look for those tide rips, current changes, anywhere you'll see baitfish that are going to be stirred up and disoriented. If you want to take your grandson out to learn about nature and is somewhat close by. I suggest you start at the Narrows Park at low tide in the early a.m. you'll see alot of macrobiotics are work. There are some complex aquatic plants/kelp that are a great spot for many baitfish to hide and feed in, and hence draws out the fishermen. At a distance it doesn't look like much is happening but once you go down to the water's edge you'll see that there is a very good currrent that is moving through and you're looking for bait balls, sand lance, ephausids, anything that shows itself on the surface. It probably means fish aren't far behind. I would keep that 6 wt. rod, cast a full intermediate line and a Clouser and make sure to bring a stripping basket. If you aren't a proficient caster that can bang out 60-70' of line or more, go practice and make sure you can. Sometimes you only have one cast. As the article mentions, Coho are mostly found at 20' which is the reason I like to use a full intermediate line. If you can't cast well, there is a great line: RIO Outbound that will great aid in you ability to through some long casts with very little effort. Strip erratically and vary the speed, alot of times they will take it when its not doing anything versus stripping too fast. Hope that helps and you're able to get into some Ho action. I know that it can be intimidating but you can't catch any fish without getting your line wet.
  12. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    i understand how intimidating it can be
    guys can be dicks especially on line
    but on the beach eye to eye fisherman are cool
    you will be impressed on the tips the average dude will tell you
    bottom line beach guys are not quite as bad as steelheaders
    get out there and claim your spot on the beach
    i got your back
  13. HARDER New Member

Tacoma
    Guys can be dicks on the water too, but who cares? Fish for yourself and your grandson's enjoyment. Les Johnson and Bruce Ferguson have a couple of great books on the subject and most of the information is very local. The Narrows Park is great at low tide early in the morning, as are the other areas near by. Read some books, get some good baitfish patterns and get out there. Experience is the best teacher, and none of us will know it all. Another idea is to bring a casting rig for buzzbombs in case you find too much wind or your grandson wants to chuck some casts. Anyhow, I hope you don't give up due to hurt feelings. Cheers.
  14. Randy Lindahl Member

:P
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Always willing to help a fellow fisherman and say hello when you come out to the point...by the way Point no Point opens July 16 and you have to return all wild chinook, wild coho and chum this year.
    Thanks Randy
  15. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Coho - A basic answer

You can expect some pretty solid information on WFF. However, you should expect put some chips on the table to help yourself. Most of the guys you are polling for questions probably own
    Washington Gazzetter
    Estuary Angler
    Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout

Many also likely belong to fishing clubs such as:
    Evergreen Flyfishers - Everett
    Northwest Fly Anglers - Seattle
    Overlake Fly Fishers - Bellevue
    Kitsap Fly Fishers - Silverdale (?)
    Washington Fly Fishing Club - Seattle
    Puget Sound Fly Fishers - Tacoma
    MOST OF THE ABOVE HAVE WEB SITES
    Build up your knowlege in order to get out more on your own and also to be able to ask questions a bit more focused than "What is the meaning of cutthroat fishing?"
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  16. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +463 / 0
    C'mon Les, don't be modest. I would like to announce that THE BOOK THAT SALMON FLY ANGLERS have been waiting for is here now. Fly-Fishing for Pacific Salmon II by Les Johnson and Bruce Ferguson with Pat Trotter ($39.95) is in the stores. For a mere forty bucks nearly everything the salmon fly fisher needs to know is readily available. This book will provide you with more solid, accurate information than you can digest in the next ten years.
  17. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Amazon has Les' new book on sale for only $59.99 :rofl:
  18. StoneFlyGuy New Member

Seattle
    Isn't that book pretty expensive though. I'm sure its a great book but for the cost...eeekkk!
  19. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Cheaper to pay $40 for knowledge than to spend it in gas wandering around. $40 in gas doesn't get you squat these days.
  20. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II
    Soft cover - $39.95
    Hard cover - $59.95
    Gas spent chasing around tying to figure it out for yourself - priceless!

Les Johnson
    PS: Amazon.com carries both the hard cover and soft cover. Amazon.com was sold out but is now restocked with hard and soft covers.