Coho/Pink Freshwater Pattern Help

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

This year will be my first year to attempt salmon on the fly. I tie my own flies and was wondering if you guys could share some patterns that have worked for you so that I can hit the bench. Pinks and Coho will be my target species. Thanks...

2. Andy D

Andy D Member

for pinks and silvers i have done well with size six and eight comets in pink and pink/purple tied on heavy salt water hooks.

3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Clousers, Miyawaki Beach Popper, Shock and Awes, Gurglers like what I sent you, bucktail streamers, surf candies, deceivers, half n half, home invader, squids / candlefish / baitfish imitations.

Have a look at Les Johnson's books.

Pinks are in MA6 this past weekend so you haven't got much time.

4. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

June Fly Salon had a bunch of pink flies.

5. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

squid.jpg flatwings.jpg Flatwings and squid patterns

Gary Knowels likes this.
  6. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Flatwings and squid patterns in the freshwater??

7. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

8. FT

FT Active Member

I like any color as long as it is pink, pattern is you choice. Some of the flies I use for coho have a lot of flash in them, such as the Karluk Flash Fly (I never see it referred to by this its original name anymore, I see it referred to simply as the "Flash Fly" have a lot of flash (this fly has a Flashabou tail and wing). And some of them have very little flash which is limited to just braided mylar bodies. Oh yeah, don't make them too big, coho readily hit flies between #4 and #8 in size tied on normal stainless steel saltwater hooks.

9. Thomas Williams

Awesome thanks. I'm just inventing some stuff. I'll post it up when I'm finished. Tied a couple pink comets as well.

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

11. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

12. AlaskanDan

AlaskanDan Member

I second the flash fly. I tie them with pink, red, black and purple collars. On the nisqually, it seems to be my go to fly for silvers. If you plan on fishing the post side of the nisqually, hit me up, ill head down there with you.

13. Thomas Williams

Sounds good Dan. Should be soon we can hammer some pinks.

14. AlaskanDan

AlaskanDan Member

Agreed, now I just have to get my butt in gear and tie some flies.