Cold Weather Gear and Camera

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Zen Piscator, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    What do you guys wear when fishing for steelies in the bitter cold, or really anytime on the water when its around or below freezing and/or the wind is blowing hard. specificly which sort of hat, do u wear gloves and if so what type, and what about the first layer, like thermal underwear or whatever. Ive got most of the other stuff covered, but those items look like christmass for me. What has worked well for you and what would you recomend to others? Also, I am in the market for a digital camera because the scanner sucks and my dad woun't let my take his out very often. Doesn't olyimpus make a waterproof one, and if so has anyone tried it? Is there a favorite camera that you guys use. I am looking at something in the sub $300 price range. Also, if anyone happens to not need their camera, I will trade you and entire large plastic bag worth of fish aproved, fisherman used flies. Some of them even some with free tippet tags.

Peace,
    Andy
  2. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well, I wear polypro sock liners and the thickest wool socks you can find. Polypro long johns and then my fleece pants (sometimes a thin layer of polypro underneath the heavy layer of polypro (depending on how cold). A polypro top, a sweatshirt, and a fleece pullover. You should be seeing a trend here....lots of Polypro, and lots of fleece.
    I use a polypro glove liner and Fleece gloves made by Kenai. Some people call me weener, BUT, those little handwarmer packets that cost like 50 cents......Dude, those are worth their weight in GOLD, especially when its rainy and cold. Just toss them in the wading jacket pockets and when ya get numb just slip your hands into nice hot jacket pockets. They are hot enough that they'll dry your hands off after a couple minutes. I love them!
    I wear a good fleece stocking cap when its really cold. Fleece, Polypro, Wool - a deadly combination for cold......and dont forget the handwarmers! :thumb:
  3. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Just remember the 3-layer rule:

1:sweat wicker (skin) ... polypropelene,polyester,etc.
    2:body-heat retainer (middle) ... thick-fleece or thick-polyester jacket,vest,etc.
    3:rain/windblocker (exterior) Laminate or coated rain/windproof jacket, or windproof fleece.

Number 1 and 2 can also apply to your legs and feet. I usually go the thickest fleece pants I can afford due I'm usually in the water 90% of the time. Real thick poly/nylon/wool on the socks too.

For your head, go with any fleece beanie. Even better, a windproof fleece beanie.

PS: The #4 rule... COTTON KILLS...If you can't help it, do not wear cotton. It virtually will not dry in cold weather and does not retain heat anywhere near poly,fleece or wool. Once cotton is wet, you are history and you will be miserable the entire day, and risk hypothermia. Leave extra dry cloths in the car too just in case for you, and your friends who sometimes don't come prepared, out of experience..

Good luck Andy!

Peter <><
  4. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    What they said above :thumb: !! poly's first, fleece next, and then a good exterior shell that is waterproof.
  5. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    any ideas on the camera?

peace,
    andy
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Socks

If my feet, head and hands are warm, the rest of me is usually comfortable. For years my favorite socks - in cold weather or not - have been the Smartwool merino wool and nylon blend available at REI and which I wear over a pair of polyester wicking socks. But now up to about $9 a pair, I've balked at replacing my older ones that are getting thin in the heel.

At Costco the other day, I found merino wool and nylon boot socks. They're thicker than the Smartwools with reinforced toes and heels and are long enough to pull up above my calf. But best of all, a three-pack cost just $13.

K
  7. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Hey ZP,

I have the Olympus water resistant camera. Takes very nice pictures and best of all it's water resistant. If you can still find it, I would reccomend the 300 version over the 400. I've read a lot of reviews that the 400 is way overpriced for the new features. 3 megapixels should be fine for any fishing needs, are you really going to be making 11x20's or bigger? I find that the camera tends to do some of it's own compensation to make colors brighter, which is good for the casual shooter. I have tested (not on purpose) out it's waterproofness by dropping it in the sink and river, and it seems to do ok. I still carry it around in a ziplock bag, but it does a good job resisting water. Anyways, it's a awesome deal these days for this camera, you'll love it.
  8. msteudel Mark Steudel

Seattle.
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Here's an example look at the sky color.

Olympus:
    http://www.steudel.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=20

Canon EOS Digital Rebel (Expensive digital slr):
    http://www.steudel.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=13

Obviously these test aren't perfect as there are lots of other variables that could cause the difference in colors. But since I often carry both cameras around with me I often see this color difference.

Here are some more pictures shot with the olympus:
    http://www.steudel.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7

Anyways, it's a great deal if you can still get the 300 and I'm sure the 400 has dropped in price since I was last looking.
  9. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Silk Long johns I feel the silk traps in more heat though when real wet it does not dry as fast.
    Poly wool blend socks. Good socks cost me $14 per pair and are the same ones made for skiers. I only wear one pair of socks at a time.
    5 mm Neo wadders
    Turtle neck Shirt
    Nylon coat with Thinsulate if real cold otherwise just a shell.
    Hat if real cold
    wool figerless gloves while fishing
    Fleece gloves while walking spot to spot over the wool gloves
    Works for me even when the snow is flying and ice are in the guides.
    Hand warmer packets in case I fall in and dry clothes in the truck for the same reason.
  10. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    msteudel-
    Thanks so much dude. That is the camera i was wondering about. 3 mega pixels is more than enough for me. I really appreciate all the help. Chris, you have really made this into a great sight. Also, what is your favorite brands of thermal underwear, or does it really matter as long as its poly?

Peace,
    Andy
  11. Diehard aka Justin

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have that Olympus camera also, in the 4 megapixel model. It takes excellent photos for a point and shoot camera. It's water RESISTANT though, not water PROOf. Don't drop it in the water. I keep mine in a ziplock bag while fishing.
  12. Tightline Brian Perry

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    The most generic you can find. IMHO- Poly undies are poly undies... spend your bucks on the Shell and fleece... It should be cheaper as you go in.

~B
  13. Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Skagit, Stillaguamish mostly
    Simms Gortex (sp) waders and rain jacket, with sweat shirt and sweat pants.
    Only really get cold when you have 8 to 12 inches of snow, you really don’t see that here in the PNW. Camera there is a big thread about that already started.
  14. Chris Stokesbary Member

Issaquah, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Pentax makes a waterPROOF version, the Optio. They sell it in 3 and 4 megapixel versions, I've got the 4. Waterproof to 25 minutes I think, which more than protects you against rain / drop / etc. Can't beat it for fishing and hiking, except the size means 2 AA bats, which means carrying extras in a ziplock.
  15. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Is this the one you're referring to?

"The Optio 43WR is a compact and durable 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a 2.8X zoom lens and a JIS Class 7 water resistance rating. The Optio 43WR remains watertight even when the camera is rinsed, splashed or submersed in water. The Optio 43WR is the perfect companion for outdoor photography in rain, snow or a day at the beach. It should not be operated underwater however."

(From http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/optio43wr.html)

Sounds like the rechargeable LiMH batteries might be more convenient and cheaper than feeding it AAs though.

K
  16. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Don’t have any suggestions on a camera as I am still researching myself. But for winter layering here’s my formula:

Pants: Fleece over Patagonia lightweight capilene.
    Waders: Simms Gore-tex
    Socks: 1 pair poly-wool blend also bring an extra pair for long periods of wading. Only wear one pair so circulation isn’t obstructed.
    Gloves: Wool convertible fingerless. Always bring an extra pair just in case of a spill.
    Top layer: Northface fleece over Midweight Patagonia capilene henley. If its raining or snowing throw on the rain jacket.
    Head: Poly type beanie

A good idea is to have some handwarmers handy as well. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dennis
  17. Chris Stokesbary Member

Issaquah, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    It is...Optio 43WR. I haven't field tested the submersible part yet, and Pentax advises against taking underwater pictures. It was around $300, and became necessary after the last one failed field testing.

I'll say it's awfully nice to have a camera that I can take hiking and fishing and not have to worry about plastic bags and moisture. This one fits in a vest pocket perfectly, with the lanyard hooked onto a D-ring.

I exclusively use rechargables, but with only two it still eats them pretty fast. The LCD on the back needs to be avoided in the name of saving power.
  18. MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Ashton, Idaho
    Canon Digital Elph