Coldwater Lake Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul_, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    I fished Coldwater Lake today June 19. The fishing was good. The average fish(bows, cutts & cuttbows)was around 18" with a few in the 20" range. These fish are thick and will tear you up. I have never been in my backing this much. All the fish were caught on black leeches. Coldwater is a big lake so matching the hatch isn't as important as finding where the fish are. The fish are very aggresive and seem to attack what ever is in their path. This one trip made up for all the trips to Coldwater that I spent sitting at the boat ramp waiting for the 5' waves to subdue. From my past experiences there, you have a 50/50 shot of beening able to fish, without the fear of capsizing.
  2. 4_weight New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Sounds like a great day. I went up about a month ago with
    no luck. But any time I can have that place to my self it's
    worth the trip. Was there anything feeding on the surface?
    Normally I also drag a leech along the bottom, but nothing
    beats a full on surface strike. Your right about the weather
    up there. Although I've never left without atleast a quick
    trip around the launch area. Anyhow, I guess I'd better plan
    another trip soon. Thanks for the encouraging info.
  3. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    Thanks for the report. I was planning on going somewhere monday and couldn't decide between leech lake and coldwater. Where about on the lake were you fishing, and how many did you catch? You can't get much better than those coldwater fish.
  4. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    The surface activity was minimal. I do think its possible to bring up some fish to a dry. I'm going to try it, maybe tommorrow. I tied up some big ugly dries. Hopefully these will get their attention. The fish were caught all through out the lake. I would focus my time on anyplace that concentrates food, small coves, weed patches and mouths of creeks. I caught most of the fish within 20' of the bank. Good luck if you go and be sure to post a report.
  5. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    Thanks for the report Paul. My wife and I fished for a few hours up there monday and did awesome. Caught fish everywhere. Deep, right up next to the shore, didn't matter. We landed very few fish, but hooked into some screamers. I'd get three, four jumps out of them and they would throw the hook. Needed to stretch that backing out anyway :TONGUE I'm jonesin to get back.

Derek