COLDWATER Lake Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Woodcanoeguy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Coldwater Lake has been producing good fishing for me the last few weeks.....I usually get from 10-15 fish in a 4 hour morning. Daybreak to 9 am seems to the best time. Afternoons are slow but I have yet to be there late evening so don't know how that time fishes. I have been covering water 8-13 feet deep with green or black/red seal buggers dressed pretty sparse. They sure are beautiful fish and strong fighters, and I get an occasional translucent finned one....Thought I had hooked a big one this last Wednesday morning but it turned out to be two fish (15 and 13") ...one on each of my stripped flies......a fun time on a three weight older Scott Pwr Ply rod and a first for me. Had a bigger fish break me off as well.....he jumped twice trying to throw the hook.
  2. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    Nice report. They certainly are energetic fish. Coldwater has been on my wish list for the summer, but I haven't been there yet.

Steve
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,108 / 0
    Nice to hear that Coldwater is still fishing well. I haven't fished it in more than a dozen years but have fond memories of driving up there alone one day and catching 16 fish that were 16'' long or better-a dandy day on the water. On another occasion the late Ken Winkleblack and I rowed to the upper end and fished the inlet. There we had the water all to ourselves and hooked hog after hog where the creek flows in. Spectacular scenery and wonderful fish.

Ive
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Ditto. Must get back up there!
  5. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Ive.....I have heard tales of the size of the fish a dozen yrs ago. According to WDFW the average size has been decreasing the last 5-7 years.
  6. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Yes, Coldwater has been hot. But the fish size has shrunk considerably. My partner and I landed 78 fish a couple weeks ago up there one day, but only two were 16 inch size or bigger. The rest were 11-14 inches. I would like to see the fish rotenoned and replanted with sterile trout so that there would be fewer fish, but much larger. I would rather catch a couple 25 inch fish any day than a bunch of little ones. I am heading up ther this wednesday with our grandson. He hasn't ever caught a fish before so I think he is in for a suprise.
    Best Regards
  7. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +223 / 2
    I know little of Coldwater lake but I thought it had streams to allow natural spawning. I'm not sure I'd want to poison off the lake just to put in triploids to create a larger mean size. Sure everybody likes big fish but I for one would rather catch smaller fish if I knew there were spawned naturally than a bunch of rubber trout triploids. Nothing wrong with 11-14 inch wild trout.
  8. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    BDD:
    Your'e more than entitled to your opinion but so am I. I am speaking as one who has fished this lake when it was first opened to fishing and I could drive up there and always catch at least 20 in a day that were 18-19 inch average, plus alot of some smaller ones. But now there are way too many trout in there to be able to support very many large fish because the food base is only so big. Besides, in my opinion it would be nice to have at least a lake or two in the area that has trophy fish in it. The same
    downsizing is happening at Spirit lake also. The fish size has gotten way smaller because the trout are basically eating themselves out of house and home. Same with Castle lake and alot of other lakes in the region.
  9. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I did some diving up there a few years back. Spoted some mosters near the boat launch. A couple way over the 20 inch mark
  10. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +223 / 2
    Strike Zone,

Not dissing your opinion, just providing information based on experience. When WDFW poisons a lake it is usually to kill off undesirable fish per the public's desire and/or to match their management plan for the lake. It costs lots of money which they don't have right now.

A more sensible approach might be to reduce the number of fry stocked in the lake to increase size or if the population is growing in numbers because of favorable spawning conditions, it might make more sense to increase the bag limit in order to increase individual size or limit the number of spawners (BC does this in some of their lakes to minimize natural production). Both of those alternatives would either save a little money or provide a harvest fishery; the former is always a good option, the latter can be good or bad depending on the individual angler. Again, I know little of this lake and probably won't fish it anytime soon so probably won't bother looking up the stocking report to see if it is mainly a fry plant, catchable (doubt it), or naturally producing lake.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I agree. Those native cutts in there survived the eruption, and the bows initially planted are now wild spawning. Kill these wild spawning fish off and replace them with....aaack!!!... Triploids? Just so you can feel a big fish on the end of your line? Why not just head to Rufus Woods?
    Maybe the Nat'l Pk Service should change the regs and allow some harvest of smaller trout in there...I think they let anglers keep one fish over 16" now. Maybe they should allow retention of two or more fish under 16" or something.
  12. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    Triploids fight like crap. Not sure why anyone would choose a 20" sock over a 12" scrapper.
  13. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Replace the wild trout with
    triploid piles of crap? You've
    got to be kidding. These are
    wild naturally reproducing
    fish. If there are too many
    nature will take care of it.

Dave
  14. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    slot limits work . find the bulk size of the smaller fish and have a two fish limit of say 10 to 13 inches like the deschutes .
  15. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Sorry to say it, but nature will only reduce the size of the fish till they are all head and not hardly any body. I tend to agree with those who would like to see the limit increased of the smaller fish to thin out the little ones. Possibly a different strain of fish might be introduced that lives longer and gets larger than the strain of rainbows that were introduced back in the eightys that have interbred with the native cuthroat that made it thru the blast. Possibly some Gerrard rainbows or something similar that lives longer and gets bigger plus increasing the limit on the smaller fish thru controlling the number of fish spawning might help. I have caught Gerrards before up in Bc and they were tremendous fighters. A guy can always dream.
  16. mgamby Active Member

vancouver, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    Please leave this lake alone.... I, for one, would not like that beautiful place to turn into another Merrill....
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I wouldn't even waste my time dreaming about that. Not that its a bad dream, or anything. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the regs for retention changed if it resulted in maintaining a "better(?)" fish population. Seeing how its under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, anything like your proposal/dream of introducing a non-native trout ain't ever gonna happen, anymore. Now they are more interested in keeping the Nat'l Parks wild, discouraging the introduction of any non-native species. They stocked non-native species in the past, but I don't think they do that any more. The introduction of brook trout and mountain goats in ONP sure was a mistake.

I'm good with what Ma Nature serves up. :beer1:
  18. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    Just an fyi. While there have been some proposals to transfer Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument (which include Coldwater, Spirit, and Castle Lakes) to the Park Service, it is still managed by the U.S. Forest Service. [The perceived advantage is that the monument is likely to have more financial resources if under the Park Service and not just an appendage of Gifford Pinchot National Forest; a suggested disadvantage is that hunting might be restricted.] According to the Monument's web site, fishing regulations are set by WA DFW.

Steve
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    Why not stick some Brown's in there. They will eat the smaller fish when they get bragging size.
  20. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks! I wasn't aware of that.