Coldwater Lake Sunrise Trout

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strike Zone, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    "Guided kayaking." Most certainly it'll be a bunch of novices. Or people who only feel safe in groups or with guides. "Tour de Blast?" Yikes!!! I'm a yakker and a cyclist, but I'd avoid either of those clusters!
  2. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Matthew&Jim
    I found out the date for the Tour De Blast bike race.. It's June 12th this year. And a number to reach the NW. Eco Excursions out of Longview, Wash is 1 360 442 4833. I am trying to talk with someone there today, but haven't had any luck yet. Hopefully someone will return my call.
    Denny
  3. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Matthew&Jim;
    I had a talk with Tracy from NW Eco Excursions in Longview yesterday.. She assured me that the guided kyaking groups would be small in numbers of people and that they would be off to the side of the launch area while giving instructions about kyaking. Also that they would stay far away from any fly fishers that may be using the lake. She also said that they would do whatever they can to not plug up the launch area so that fishermen could launch or take out their boats without having to wait. I sure hope it works out up there. If there are any problems that might arrise we can call her at the number I listed.
    Denny
    Matthew Kaphan likes this.
  4. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +631 / 2
    I have to say in 10 trips I think I saw 1 other fisherman. even during the summer the most boats I ever saw was 4 in one day. Its not like there are camp grounds and tons of people up their! In fact I'm totally shocked at how few use the lake. The lake is 3 1/2 miles long and 1/2 a mile wide in most parts. I don't see a problem at all.
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks Denny. Small groups of yakkers usually don't get in the way or ever seem to create a nusiance, and as a yakker I can say that we usually try to keep off to the side and avoid clogging the ramps. A large group of 'em might take away the feeling of being "away from it all," but a small group is tolerable. Myself, I usually show up alone, wherever I go.

Bike events can be huge, though, and driving past long strings of cyclists is always kind of tense.
  6. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    Denny,

thanks for making the phone calls. I agree with others that it's a big lake, and as long as they don't clog up the launch it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I fished the lake quite a bit last summer and rarely saw more than a couple of people out there. Usually I had the place to myself, at least on the water. There always seems to be a group or two of people walking along the wooden walkway. I make a concentrated effort to catch a fish when there's people on the walkway in order to complete their Northwest Mountain adventure.

Matthew
  7. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Got up to Coldwater this morning. Snow heavy on road last 15 miles but boat launch area was OK. Immediately after I launched I hooked a fish....a real scrapper that kept dogging for the bottom. He felt really stout...... Finally after about 15 minutes my little three wt rod dredged him up and lo and behold it was a cutty about 25 inches long and just beautifully colored. No camera but he was followed by three others all over 23 inches before I even made it out to the Island.........or wait....it Aprils fools today! Guess I was mistaken about those big cutts and it all was just a dream....well that is except for the long snowy drive, three hours of fishing in the snow and just one fish to ahnd! Lake was dead flat calm too.

DSCN3057.jpg DSCN3047.jpg DSCN3048.jpg
  8. Drifter Active Member

WOW No wind must have been the south wind getting blocked by the ridge? lots of snow still :-0
  9. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Woodcanoeguy:
    Boy Oh Boy! You had me all excited for a bit till you said April Fools. I was ready to brave the weather and head up there. Good one! I knew there were a few big ones still in there, but WOW. Anyway, I'm headed to the east side around the 15th or so with the wife to do some fly fishing over there. I'ts supposed to start warming up pretty soon I think. Will let you know how things go. I won't say April Fools though.
    Denny
  10. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    Denny....We have a club ( Clark Skamania Fly Fishers) event near Soap Lake in MAy....that will be my first fishing trip over to the east side. Let me know how you like it and have a great time....No foolin!
  11. Drifter Active Member

Wood do you know when they might be opening the merrill gate? thanks in advance. I went to the site page to see when the clean-up or work day was for merrill and could find no info? would like to help!
  12. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +67 / 1
    Maybe a different race, but http://tourdeblast.com/index.html has a date of Saturday June 23, 2012
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks, Mark. I searched thru the Tour de Blast site and read that its very popular and usually "sells out" with 1600 riders participating. So there will be 1600 riders or so strung out all along the road there on 6/23.

Get to the lake early, head to the far end, and return after dusk. "Bike tour? huh? What bike tour? Gee, was there a bike tour? Awww, shucks! I missed it!"
  14. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    I have been intimidated by those bruisers in there. Great lake to fish, if the wind is not blowing. And you would be hard pressed to find better surroundings and view.

Thanks for clarifying the issue for me, Woodcanoeguy.
  15. Paul_ Active Member

La Center
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Hmm, I've read numerous post this past year about how everyone loves the solitude and there's hardly anyone fishing it.

To see that many vehicles in the lot (4 is a lot for that lake), with the conditions the way they were, makes me wonder... I hopes it's just a coincidence.

I know- "it's a big lake" "doesn't get much pressure" "rarely saw more than a couple of people"

Maybe I'm being overprotective, but I'm just saying.
  16. PETI Member

Battle Ground, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Seeing reports like these I have to believe the posters don’t consider the harm that may be done by their actions.
    To praise a body of water for it's unspoiled character, solitude and good fishing in front of such a vast, indiscriminate audience seems counterproductive.
  17. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    The same thought went through my head when I saw all the boat trailers in that picture.

But I think it may be busier now because it's one of the few lakes that are open. Over summer I rarely fished it with more than a boat or two on the water, except when a fly club was having an outing.

Matthew
  18. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    I think there is always a bit of pent up fishing energy this time of year. Everyone chomping at the bit to get out. Yesterday a friend went up, fished 30 minutes and then got blown off the lake by a fierce east wind. He was only guy there. Coldwater often does its own policing for solitude with its greater distance from folks and its often feisty windy weather. It is a bit hard to be selfish and not share when it is such a wondrous and natural locale to fish for wild trout. Everyone should see and fish it at least once.
  19. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Might as well embrace the crowds - how about a WFF fish out when the snow clears? Any body have an idea when that might be? We can do it on a weekday to help make sure it won't be crowded with people other than us.

Matthew
  20. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    I got up to Coldwater Lake this morning bout' 10 am....beautiful day, sunny, road was clear all the way to lake. East wind was blowing towards boat dock at about 30 mph when I launched boat....maybe 35 when I got truck parked and back down to dock.....boat was bucking up and down 2 feet while tied to dock. Lost my hat to the wind and it sank. Looked fierce enough that I decided to not venture out, just barely got the boat back on trailer, then waited in parking lot for 30 minutes in case wind abated...it didn't, just got brisker...... So I headed home.

I saw one small aluminum boat out there once......but then never saw it again after it went behind Island ?
    I didn't wet a line. I did however help Shell Oil Company make a few bucks.