COLDWATER LAKE TROUT IN THE WINTER

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strike Zone, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Have had alot of fun at Coldwater Lake lately. Fish are a little lethargic up there, but will bite if you have a little patience,
    Denny
    GET THE NET

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      728 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      159.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      197.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      529.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    A leech behind a dodger. I like it!

3. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Blake; Yep. I'd never tried that till last fall, but it has worked real well. Not only at Coldwater, but wherever I've used it. Other things work alsol, but this rig has been exceptional for me.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

4. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Nothing wrong with being creative my friend! I row around a 14vhull, and generally will take a buddy with me. Because it is so hard to have a good hookup rate while rowing and fly fishing, I use a light downrigger setup so the fish do most the work. Generally my buddy pulling the fly behind my teasers will have much better success than if he was just fishing his fly alone.
    I break rods occasionally too and have had to get fairly creative myself.....
    20130510_133922.jpg

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

No! Blake, that's just shameful abuse of a good Fenwick! :eek: Careful! Yer takin' things to a whole nutha level there.:D

Strikezone, nice that you made it up there, and thanks for the report. I have thought of tying up a big flashy conehead streamer, using "flashabou," and trailing a leech behind that. I think it might work in my favorite "local" year-round lake. I have thought of using a dick nite (with hook removed) as a flasher, but haven't gone there yet.

I almost went lake fishing the other day (weather was nice, with highs in low 50's and light winds at the lake I had in mind), but I wanted to take a long beach ride on my new "fatbike." It wasn't fly fishing or even fishing, but it was awesome!

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Good thing you put a tape to that monster! Looks like you got your limit for dinner, anyway.

Irafly likes this.
  7. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

triploidjunkie: Hi. I do all C/R at Coldwater so I don't keep em. But the one fish with the tape next to it was 13 1/2" and the other on laying on the deck was 15 3/4" no matter how we measured it, so we couldn't have kept it anyway. Most of what I catch up there seems to be in that size range. I am really getting lazy as I get older. I use a electric 2106 scotty downrigger when I'm up there now with an ultra lite lami. 7 foot pole and about 8 pound momo line attached to the sling blade dodger that's ahead of that fly. But alot of other flies will work too. I have been tying my own fies for about 58 years now and that one is one of my favorites. It's always a grand day when I can get up there. Swift Lake is another good one for rainbow and landlocked coho's.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      839.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      726.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      529.2 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    At least he went all the way...don't forget the Medalist

9. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Strike Zone,

I was unfamiliar with "landlocked" coho, so I did a search on the term. Lo and behold, I didn't know it was happening. When I was a kid we called kokanee "silvers" but I had never heard of landlocked coho until reading your post. I wonder to what extent it is happening in our state? Guess some research is due on that question.

10. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

mat1226:

Hi. Yes as I understand it there are some other lakes that have landlocked cohos--Rife Lake is one I think, but not sure about any others.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I knew when I sold you that rod you'd put it to good use!
    SF

12. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Stonefish:
    Hi. I'm not positive, but I think they are coho's, and they remain in the lake and spawn in the tribs., or come from a hatchery somewhere. If you look at the post above showing some fish on the deck of my boat next to a fish finder lid you can see some of them have very pronounced V in their tails and they are a more silvery color than the rainbows in the same photo. They both seemed to fight about the same. Fun times.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

13. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

This thread makes me recall one way that they fish sockeye up near Pt. Alberni I believe it is. They run the flasher down on the downrigger and have some way to attach the fly so that it trails out behind the flasher a couple of feet. Not sure if it is directly to the flasher, can't see how that would not impact the flasher negatively, so it must be a separate line or additional line attached lower than the weight.

Anyone know exactly how they do that up there? It's all about getting the sockeye on the fly line without the flasher. Same thing might be able to be done where Strike Zone is doing his thing.

Maybe this is simple to answer for those of you who do much trolling with downriggers. I don't do it so it is a mystery at this point.

14. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Mark;
    Ya know, I don't think the 4 inch dodger slows down or effects the fight ability of the fish at all. I have caught them with just a fly line with a fly at 8-12 feet behind it for years, till last year when I started fishing kokanee. I can't see any difference in how those fish fight either way. When I fish for kokes I always put a dodger ahead of whatever lure I am using. They are a real kick in the pants to play because they seem to go ballistic especially when you get them anywhere near the boat. Trout or kokanee it's the same. So it makes no difference to me either way I choose to fish for them up there at Coldwater. Some will say I'm not a flyfishing purist anymore. I respond with I know I'm not. I can live with that. But I am having a ball and enjoying life when I'm up there and I can usually catch fish. Although it sometimes takes some experimenting to make it happen. That's the challenge.
    Denny
    GET THE NET

15. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

And having a ball is what is important, that is for sure. Thanks for sharing how you are doing things up there. I am sure it has given a lot of people some good ideas.

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

Good one! ;)