Coldwater or Merrill

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Bartfly, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Bartfly

Bartfly New Member

Anyone fished these lately? Trying to decide where to go and wondering how high Merrill is and if Coldwater already turned over.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I didn't know that Coldwater turned over.

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well with the unstable weather pattern Bartfly and I decided on Merrill! landed some dink cutties as usual and one brown. Fun day on the water!

merril brown 001.jpg merril brown 003.jpg

ganglyangler likes this.
  4. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    What, no sturgeon?

Drifter likes this.
  5. mgamby

mgamby Active Member

Media:
    Coldwater sturgeon don't get active till autumn..... duh....

6. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

Fished Coldwater last Thursday from about 7am till 3pm. Rained pretty much all day. Used a small black leach with a black bead head and caught fish from the time we arrived till we left. Started near the boat ramp and worked our way past the cat walk dock thing. Fished that cove past the dock most of the day but did work our way around the big rock where I caught my biggest fish, 18". We used a sink tip most of the day but around 11 or so we did notice a hatch so we switched to the floating line with a small olive dun and couldn't keep it on the water enough for about a half an hour. After that we went back to our sinking setup and caught fish pretty consistantly the rest of the day. I've fished up there off and on for a number of years growing up around here and this was by far the best outing I've ever had. I don't know what factors added up to a great day but we took it! As far as the weather it was rainy as hell, foggy all day but we lucked out and had no wind to speak of. We seriously didn't keep track of how many fish we caught but if I had to compare it with my teenage years where I killed everything and took them home I would estimate my haul to be in the neighborhood of over 60 fish all between 13" to a little over 18. To me the fish seemed to be smaller than in the past but there seem to be plenty in the lake. Who know's I might be able to go back up tomorrow and not catch a thing, one never knows.

Drifter likes this.