Color Preserver

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Islander, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Has anyone used U-40 Color Lock 2 on their threads. I got some for the first time and it seems to be a milky color. Is that normal or should it be clear?:confused:
  2. Jim Fitz Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Islander,

I have never used that brand but am 99% sure it is fine. In fact I was just reading up on feather inlays and the article recommended acrylic CP - the milky white preservers.

Jim
  3. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Thanks for the info Jim. I'll put it on tonight and it should be dry by morning.

Steve
  4. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Dont worry. When it dries, it clears up.
  5. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Yeah, the white is normal, it dries clear....
  6. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Thanks guys. It's great to have this resource. It's on and dried fine. I am going to start the Perma Gloss, hopefully the power will stay on or I'll be stuck turning my rod by hand for 2 hrs. bawling:
  7. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Permagloss and Washington state don't usually equate to 2 hour dry times. If you're *LUCKY* in this kind of weather you'll get 15 minutes. Please note that permagloss is a moisture activated urethane. I made the mistake once of putting it on too thick, then thinking I had time before I needed to turn it... Boy, was I *EVER* wrong....
  8. TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Littleton, CO
    Yep, the milky white color preservers dry mostly clear. If it's over a black thread or over a dark blank (i.e. when doing a feather inlay), you'll notice a very slight haze in direct sunlight. At least that has been my experience. I'll use the Gudebrod stuff for this application, but for everything else, the white works stuff works fine.
  9. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    A note on this. If your color preserver is water based you can always dilute it for these situations.
  10. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..

So that's what happened.:beathead:
    I put my first coat of perma gloss on and about half way through the stuff started getting tacky. I thought it was because it was a few months old. When I was done I capped it up tight but when I went to apply another coat the next morning the bottle was all gummed up. Should I wait for dryer weather? Or maybe pour some into another container to apply so I can keep the jar closed?:confused:
  11. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Use a tall thin container, and only use as much as you need. A large thimble is just fine. You will probably have to pour a couple of different batches to make it so it's not too tacky. Also, If there is any way you can put it in a resizeable container (old syringe you don't car about), it'll store better that way too.

For the time being, it may be better for you to hold off, or get a dehumidifier. Another option you can look at would be some of the spar urethane varnishes. It gives a "similar" look, but is a lot more forgiving as it dries via volitile chemicals evaporating.

In general I ended up giving up on permagloss because of some of the issues I ran into. It's a good product, just not for what I want to do with it! :)

-- Cheers
    -- James
  12. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Thanks James. I am pretty much stuck with permagloss on this rod since I have one coat on already. I'll do the seperate container thing and pour a little out at a time. I guess I'll try some of the epoxy coatings on the next rod.