Colorado Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by jamesf01, Dec 28, 2006.

1. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

:confused: I would like some reviews from some one who owns a Trout Unlimited 9' Colorado Pontoon Boat and would like to know if any one has used it and could compare it to other boats. I have been looking for one and am lost on which one to get this spring. Thank you for your help.

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    What do you plan on using this for?

3. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

Some small rivers and lakes. Most the stuff you use them for fishing.

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Just checking... That particular pontoon isn't rated for white water and I didn't want you to buy one with the expectation that you were gunna run rapids with it.

Mostly I'm trying to get more info from you so folks can give a bit more useful feedback :)

5. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    James,
    I bought one this past summer at the drive-in swap meet, I paid $125.00 for it.
    It is in excellent condition and I've done the Yak, Cle Ellum, Skait and Pass lake in it so far, no problems yet.
    A few of the things I don't like about it are; Frame strap connections on the pontoons are placed too low which makes it a pain to get them attached. Original foot pegs were too wide, this made it difficult to get in and out. I corrected by sawing them down, now I can walk through rather than step over them. The air valve caps were attached with a short section of cord that quickly became detached so now I have to be careful not to loose them.

The frame comes apart and goes back together nicely and it is very sturdy. I've added an anchor system which works well too.

For the money, it works for now, 'cause it gets me on the water, glad I didn't pay $350 for it though.

Next one I get will have shorter 'toons, 9 ft is a bit too long, I'd like 8 or even 7 ft ones better, and also easier to use attachment points.

LB

6. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

Thank you for your input do you think a 7 or 8 foot is ok for the rivers like the Yak, Cle Ellum, Skait or to small ????

7. PT

PT Physhicist

An 8' boat would be fine for those rivers. If you think at all that you'd want a bigger boat, say 10', then do it the first time. I went from an 8' to a 10', kept that one, and then bought a 12' two person Steelheader. Well, that wasn't good enough so I got rid of it and bought a 13' raft. It goes on and on.

If you buy the right boat for your application the first time you'll save a bunch of money.

Again, a good 8' pontoon will serve river and lakes quite well.

How big are you? Any overnighters that you'd use the boat for? All things to consider.

8. papafsh

Media:
    Home Page:
    No I don't think 7 -8ft is too small, in fact after running those rivers was when I made my decision about my next 'toon size. The guy's I've fished with all have Outcast boats, they are smaller lighter and stronger (stainless steel frames) than mine, and they also can get through the tight spots better.

So would I say not to buy a particular brand or size of boat? no I wouldn't, I'm glad I bought mine and that I have it, just the next time, I have a better idea of what I want based on my own experience.

I'm saving up the $1400 (OUCH!)it takes to get the new "Strapless" model Outcast.

LB

9. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    I used to conduct steelhead spawning surveys in those boats and they weren't up to the task....but we asked an awful lot of them.

If you anticipate using your boat 'lightly' then go for the Colorado. If you're tough on your gear, use it alot, and plan on running moving water often, you'll destroy it. The money you spent on it will be money that could have gone part way for a higher-end boat.

10. jamesf01

jamesf01 New Member

James Thank you very much for the help I can use all the help I can get.

11. Corey Kruitbosch

Corey Kruitbosch Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I got mine to see if I would enjoy having a toon and have used it lightly over the last couple of years. I think it is a good middle of the road toon. I did have a problem with a bladder and lost a screw off the bottom of the seat (while floating) .. I requested a new screw while I had them on the phone to buy a new bladder ... They sent a whole new seat and a a set of bladders free of charge. Excellent warranty support and customer service.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't believe that it would be safe going down any river in a 7' toon. In fact most makers of toons recommend you don't use their 7'er's on any moving water.

I had a 7'er and never once did I think that I would be safe going down river in it. Just too small for me.

Jim

13. stflr

stflr priorities?

Same subject, different toon...

Was curious if anyone had floated any moving water on the Arrow Backpacker?:confused:

14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have one. I work it hard not catching steelhead in March and April on the sauk (10 days). I also crab out of it. It's worth $420.00 delivered.
    I beat the snot out of mine. I've broken 2 bolts that connect the tray behind the seat to the frame. The color is fading but I am sure it will get me down the Sauk with the dog this spring. You could get more mileage out of yours then I will get if you treat it well and always store it indoors. Good Luck
    18 is back,
    cds

15. papafsh

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, you are right Jim, I kind'a overstated myself on the 7ft thing, I don't really think it would be big enough either, but for sure an 8ft'er would do.

LB