Colorful SRC Flies, Coho Flies, and...a Blacklight

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by dryflylarry, Jan 10, 2012.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    All the latest posts here about SRC flies and their success rates inspired me to take a couple photos of a few flies under a blacklight, which shows what materials are effected by UV (ultraviolet) rays. I've known this for quite a long time and had been discussing this more recently with my fishing partner Mark. I thought I would attempt to take a couple of photos to illustrate for those who don't give much thought to using florescent materials. They are blurry, but, keep in mind that fish can see UV light. To have a little fun...if you have a handheld battery operated blacklight, take it to your local fly shop or shine it on your fly tying materials in the dark. You will be amazed! The attached photos are squids I am experimenting with in my Popsicle Stick pattern colors, and the other is a group of used Popsicle Sticks. For those that don't know, the main colors are hotpink, chartruese, salmon colored Litebrite, hotpink polymarabou. You will find many colors that make you smile with your blacklight, and you will be on your way to the fly shop soon! Have fun!! Maybe this is nothing new to most of you, but thought I would post it anyway.
  2. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Thank you for taking the time to share the photos. Pretty darn cool.. Enjoy your day.
  3. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +234 / 0
    can we start calling you MAD SCIENTIST Larry?
  4. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Larry, great post. I have been using UV Krystal Flash in all of my flies. I just found a bunch of UV material that I bought at the International Fly Tackle Dealer Show from Spirit River. They are testing UV in all of the feathers they sell. I believe that UV makes our flies more effective. I just picked up a used book called "Through the Fish's Eye - An Angler's Guide To Game Fish Behavior" that has some great information on how fish see color. I will see if it addresses UV and post the findings.
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,171 / 1
    Nice work Larry!
    Lots of folks call bunk on UV, but I'm a believer.
    Like Steve, I now use UV Krystal Flash on all my local salt flies.
  6. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +467 / 0
    Wow Larry, did I just have a flashback to 60's. Thats pretty cool.... I know you've been messing around with it, now I see why! How deep does
    UV penetrate the water under fairly clear conditions? I guess I need to pay more attention to MAD SCIENTIST DFL's ideas. Thanks for the pic's.
  7. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Larry, can you please give us a referral to your local head shop to find battery operated black lights? Don't leave home without one!
  8. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Steve- Here is a link to a blacklight like I have. There are many more better quality one's, but this works fine. I need to order a new one. I'm no scientist, and may have this all wrong. It is my understanding that fish can see things that absorb/reflect UV light rays. Gotta go! I'm running out the door to hunt for cutthroat nearby for a little while. Darn, the tide is changing soon tho, I may hit slack!

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Lights-...ECQU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1326224497&sr=8-9
  9. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA

the gob shop?
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    or Dr. Feelgoods
  11. Tejano Member

Austin, Tx
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I would like to see photos of the prey species under black light or UV light too. Might be interesting.
  12. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA

kinda dating ourselves aren't we

last time I checked Dr Feelgoods was still there ....
    however that was some time ago
  13. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Sorry to give you all "flashbacks"!!...............Ha!
  14. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +459 / 0
    I find that having lava lamps & listening to the gratefull dead in the tying room is helpfull for promoteing creativity,But now I've got to get one of these black lights thats awesome!!!!!
  15. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord

Love, Peace, Joy, and Equality to all you old hippies on here!!!
  16. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA

tune in
    turn on
    and roll cast...........
    FAR OUT
  17. tyeechuck Member

SEATTLE, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Right on! or is that right arm? The Gob Shop was still there when I first started fishing Golden Gardens and drove past it but I deny any connection. At least at this point in time I can't remember any. Thats my plausable deniability.

Peace,
    Jim
  18. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek

I just know of both stores. Of course I never visited either in my youth......:D
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    "Under the Bridge" in Astoria! Myself, I fantasize that Larry's flies look more Pink Floyd inspired than Grateful Deadish. I may have been a longhaired surf bum at one time, but never have I considered myself to be a hippie!:rolleyes:

Very cool and outrageously freaky looking flies, Larry!
  20. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA

Jim you might want to consider professional help