colton rod reviews

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by colton rogers, Mar 2, 2009.

1. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

i was wondering if any one has used a colton fly rod or reel {or knows someone that has}. the company doesn't have any retail stores and there in Pennsylvania. i like how they look and that they come with an extra tip section. the link is below

http://www.coltonfly.com/

2. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    I bought one off of Ebay last fall for a fishing trip to Mexico. Broke on the 3rd day. Shoddy construction. Buy yourself a TFO or Echo for the same price.

3. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

what was wrong with the construction/ was it the rod or was it your fault. i like how they look and my name is colton. i am not the maker of the rods. but, i like that the rods come with an extra tip section.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Colton, for heavens sake, if you are hard to get one then get one. Eric says shoddy construction, not that he gorilla mashed it or drove a tour bus over it. If there was a rod manufacturer called Mumbles I'd have at least one, even if for nothing more than impressing my friends...well, that would be if I had friends. Follow your wallet man, if you have the cash to spend, get it. If you need a rod to last for years of fishing maybe you should re-read Eric's post, no?

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    If you want your name on a rod, have one made from a quality blank and have your name put on it. Seriously.

Heck, if you want an extra tip with your rod, get one of those rods for The Fly Fishing Shop, and have someone scribe your name on it.

6. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I don't know about them. The company looks promising, but very new on the scene. Note that they have no testimonials or anything on their website and you probably can't find many reviews about them.

I do like the look of their reels, though. If they are machined from bar stock, that's a pretty good value.
    -Ethan

7. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    ok, how about cork peeling off the blank and tip breaking on a snag (a 10 wt) all in 3 days of use....to me that is a piece of shit and shoddy construction. u will need that extra tip. u asked and i replied...sorry if u dont like my review.

8. surfly

surfly New Member

meet some one fishing the jetties in RI,broke his rod fishing for albies, said it was is second colton now trying for 3.

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Colton, Richard has a great point, get someone with some awesome caligraphy skills to scribe your whole name on a rod with a great reputation, service department and following. Just read the ongoing threads about how pleased people are with their rods by Sage, Redington, Winston, Echo, TFO, St. Croix...the list goes on and on and on. It is your money, put it into the economy and fish the hell out of whatever you get! The right choice can last a lifetime if you read the testimonials by many of our WFF members who have been doing this most of their lives.

10. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I have no experience with Colton, but am wary of companies that offer an extra tip instead of a lifetime warranty.

In December I broke a Sage XP in the third section on a 7# hatchery fish. I had obviously damaged that section myself without noticing. I now have a new rod instead of a collection of broken parts with two tips.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Even better are rods with two tips and a lifetime warranty. My father in law gave me one of those. Break a tip, use the other to prevent your day from being ruined. Then send it back for repairs or now based on its age, replacement.

I have also got a bamboo rod with two tips, one a bit more wobbly than the other. Never fished it, but after a bit of project work to reseal it and rewrap one or maybe all the guides I'll give it a warm weather whirl.