Columbia Basin Trip

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Freeloader, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Freeloader

Freeloader New Member

This is a combination hello to introduce myself and to give a quick report on my Friday and Saturday trip over to the east side to fish. I have been a lurker on this site for the past year or so and just happened to run into Irafly and troutpocket fishing a basin lake this weekend. They convinced me I needed to take the plunge and become a member. The weather and the fishing was good with no rain and light winds on Friday and similar weather conditions on Saturday. Friday I started out fishing chronomids in 8-10 ft. of water and was picking up fish here and there. I changed up and went to micro leeches and balanced leeches under a indicator and this was the ticket. Cast and let it sit, twitch it 3-4 times, let it sit. It all worked. I met Ira on Friday, (He came around the corner and I was anchored in his spot. This was his second time trying to anchor up there apparently), so I invited him to anchor next to me and share the water. Big mistake! (ha ha) He immediately started catching my fish. To make a long story shorter we traded names and I recognized who he was from the forum. Saturday I met Troutpocket as he and Ira were again fishing the same lake. Those guys know what they are doing and catch a lot of fish. Saturday I found the fish a little more interested in chironomids and did very well at times fishing chromies and black bodied red ribbed white bead versions. If it slowed down I would change back to micro leeches and balanced leeches and this would often get things going again. Lots of 12inchers and in the two days I caught numerous 17-18 inchers with my largest fish being 20 inches in my measure net. It was great to hear Ira hoot and holler when he caught a tagged fish that may have been worth some money. All in all a great weekend of fishing and meeting some nice people and good fishermen.

2. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Welcome. Glad you met some good guys and caught some fish. Thanks for the report.
    Mike

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Ira anchoring up next to you and catching all the fish..... that doesn't sound like him;)

Irafly likes this.
  4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Sounds like you won the Stillwater lotto: a chance to be a student and soak up some knowledge.

5. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Welcome! Glad you got to fish with some of the masters!
    Gris :)

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome!

Ya gotta watch ira, he is a master of poaching other peoples fish

Irafly likes this.
  7. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

8. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

I fished with Ira earlier in the day on Friday. Enjoyed the time with him, and he definitely has me thinking more in the line of throwing micro leeches! Thanks for the schooling, Ira!

Irafly likes this.
  9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I poached no fish. Now is it possible that fish that this lurker/freeloader might have caught were first intercepted by a more adept fisherman, yes, I will agree with that ;). I was at least two cast lengths away unless your last name is Rajeff.

It was obvious to me quickly that Freeloader (a term we coined on the water) knew what he was doing when he mentioned that I was one of his favorite posters on the forum. I enjoyed meeting you and I look forward to seeing you out fishing again sometime.

Now maybe I shouldn't have hooted and hollered so much about that fish though, because I have now completely lost that tag. Maybe I should have thought more about where to put the dang thing. Oh well it was either worth $50 or $500, no big!

10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

I'm glad to have met you, now buy some of those slotted tungsten beads, and you will be good to go.

11. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fishing report from Monday....

44.5 degrees F, wind to 25 mph, and a partly cloudy sky!!

The price you pay for fishing with friends that are NOT retired.

12. Freeloader

Freeloader New Member

Ira, maybe losing the the tag is directly related to all the glass bottles clinking together in the bottom of your skiff :):):)

tyeoneon, troutpocket and Irafly like this.