Columbia River steelhead

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Joe, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Joe Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Parts of the Columbia River and other rivers such as the Methow have been opened for steelhead, as show below. Does anyone have any advice about fishing these?

Joe

The Hanford Reach area of the Columbia River, which will be open from Oct. 12 through March 31, from the Highway 395 bridge at Pasco to the old Hanford town site power poles just upstream of the Ringold Hatchery. General statewide rules will be in effect, except that kept fish must have both adipose and ventral fins removed. All other steelhead must be released.
    The mainstem Columbia River from Rocky Reach Dam upriver to Chief Joseph Dam, which will be open from Oct. 12 through March 31. General freshwater rules will be in effect, including the requirement that all wild steelhead be released. Nigh closure will be in effect for all species.
    The Methow River, which will be open from Oct. 12 through March 31 from the mouth to the confluence with the Chewuch River in the town of Winthrop. Selective gear rules for all species will be in effect except motorized vessels are allowed. Anglers will be required to release any wild, unmarked steelhead they catch. Night closure will be in effect for all species.
    The Okanogan River, which will be open from Oct. 12 through March 31 from the mouth upriver to one quarter-mile below the railway trestle below Zosel Dam. Selective gear rules for all species will be in effect, except motorized vessels will be allowed. Anglers will be required to release any wild, unmarked steelhead they catch. Night closure will be in effect for all species.
  2. eastsider New Member

Kennewick, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That just happens to be in my back yard. The best place to go if you don't have a boat is Ringold. It can be crowded at times with bait fishers, but fly fishermen can walk upstream from the hatchery creek and fish without being bothered. I like to go during the mid week when I can and fish between the hatchery creek and irrigation return. If you have a boat, you can launch anywhere in Richland or at Ringold and access ALOT of prime water. You need to have a depth finder and some caution as shallow water near the islands extend downstream and upstream more than most people think. I've seen more than a few props chewed up. There are a few farm roads between Ringold and Pasco that will provide access. You just have to explore a little - start just south of Mathew's corner (the name of the road excapes me now).

To get to Ringold, exit I-182 on Road 68, proceed north, taking the right fork at Taylor Flats and drive until you hit a stop sign (about 10 miles or so, meaning I don't remember exactly). When you get to the bottom of the second big hill, turn left (it may be marked). At the stop sign, cross the irrigation ditch and drive down the gravel road toward the river.

Give it a try. Last year, it was great!