Combat Fishing at Picnic Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brian B, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Brian B

Brian B Member

I got up early today and hit the beach at Picnic Point. I knew I was in trouble when the trucks were parked up and down the road leading to the gate. Yes, the pinks are in! Not so quick.:beathead:

The entire line of water was covered with guys fishing elbow to elbow. So much for the serene setting of fly-fishing. And if a guy hooked one, then you could be sure that a gear guy would come and wedge in between. This kind of fishing is always hard on the soul.

I heard that the pinks have been practically begging to be hooked. Who wouldn't want a piece of that? But today was a bit slower. I was with several friends who each caught one during three hours of fishing. But hookups were not prolific.

No doubt, I will head down to shoulder my way in again in the coming days. But I know it won't be what I envision as my perfect day.

Enjoy the fall that is right upon us.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    it's been slowing down. after seeing how many salmon were in the river, i don't know how much longer picnic point is going to be working out. on top of combat fishing, the salad problems always make things tougher

3. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    This morning at Carkeek, I ran into a guy who fished Picnic Point yesterday. The fish were very thick and fairly willing. The crowd was also there, but, from his description, seemingly not as bad as today. I think he said he brought at least four to hand, and the other two who were with him did pretty good for the few hours they invested.

Too bad about the crowd "scene." That the greed for another's spot becomes quickly unsavory is something I have to agree with. That they're that ruthless for pinks is beyond me. :confused: In a couple of months, I can imagine the very same people showing off pictures of themselves holding up a prized black fish spewing milt on their legs. Hey now! There's another one for the family photo album... :beathead:

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    fishing picnic last night, i was wandering around trying to find a place to not be casting into salad. one fly guy left the water and was carrying all his stuff off the beach, so i assumed he was leaving. i walked into his spot, and before i started casting he was standing behind me glaring me down. i apologized and explained i thought he was leaving, so i left his spot and continued my search. all the while he just gave me a really disgusted look. but him and the other guys he appeared to be fishing with seemed to be making it a point to look like they were far too serious to be enjoying themselves, even when they hooked up with a fish, they looked like it was another day at work. i dunno, just an attitude all around i don't really understand. lighten up, they're just pinks, it's fishing, not a day at work or a competition.

5. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I was going to say that yesterday and today at Picnic, I found the gear guys I had any interaction with to be nothing but polite, obliging, and friendly. In short, pleasures to fish with, if I have to fish that close to anybody. So were many of the fly anglers. The few guys I did see behaving boorishly or trying to sneak in too tight all happened to be flyfishing. I don't know; Picnic seems to be one of the few beaches where fly anglers actually outnumber gear anglers, so maybe it's just an averages thing.

Salmon fishing in general seems to be a pretty communal activity, and the beaches in Puget Sound are just downright crowded. I just give myself up to it. It's not so bad when you're catching fish. For all the blather that anglers like to smear around re solitude and elbow room, I guess we must believe it, but it seems to me 90% of us catch 90% of our fish within earshot of the road. (If you think about it, that's actually kind of encouraging I think.) Puget Sound has about 2500 miles of shoreline, and public access to about 20 miles of it, to share with two or three million of your neighbors. If you don't like people, you might try flyfishing for carp.

The fishing was decidedly better yesterday than this morning. I understand it was way better on Saturday. But I had fun either way, putting a few on the beach and seeing plenty of fish. I was fishing with 11-year-old, who managed to get a few himself throwing a small buzz bomb. His casts weren't the most consistent on the point, so my apologies if he happened to spray one into the water you were fishing. I also want to express my appreciation to any of you who happened to be very kind to him, offering him encouragement, congratulations, and flattery when he landed fish, and condolences on the one he lost at the beach.

6. wolverine

wolverine Member

Picnic Pt was no picnic today. Not a lot of fish landed for the effort shown. Last Thursday thru Sunday it had far fewer fishermen and a lot more fish. The past few days the boaters were out in front in big numbers. Today the fleet was north of the shipwreck. We're on the tail end of the saltwater portion of the pink run so go get them before they all hit the rivers.

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I guess I'm taking in a positive reality check from these two voices.

iagree I isn't a competition; it's just fishing for pinks. And I'm bummed that some of us fly anglers got a bit thin-skinned squeezing between the multitude of shoulders. Of course, I have and probably will continue to bail in the face of the kind of numbers seen at Picnic Point and what I saw at Bush Point. That's my choice based upon on my own tolerance level for the ratio between my own lack of control when casting and my concern for the safety of others. It's also a "personal space" thing, too. Still, no point in delivering eye-ball daggers.

:beathead: Bummer!!! I am so disappointed! Elitistic bums! It's like tit-for-tat or might-makes-right is the rule of the day. Not for me.

:rofl: Carp... :rofl:

There was this guy today at Carkeek, whom I've seen on numerous occasions on the beaches. His name is Jim. I don't recall his last name, but I'm certain many have seen him or know him. Short guy, affable, fishes a Orvis rod with his name on it, smokes a thin cigar. Hell of a gentleman. Sweet, funny guy. There was a father and son there this morning. The boy, not older than 10 yrs. The kid's buzz bomb got snagged on the bottom, and Jim wades in and frees it up. He spends the better part of the next half hour nicely chatting with the father and son, probably giving them pointers. Now that's a fly angler with class! May I learn to be half the man.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I've seen the same thing everywhere I've worked and fished. Many of those greedy people are bad fisherman. Nothing against them as people, but they often go most of the year being part of the 90% of the fisherman that catch 10% of the fish. During the pink run they HAVE to hit it hard and be agressive because that's pretty much the high point of their year. Once again not a smear on them as people, but it goes a long way to explain their seriousness.

I fished Meadowdale this morning. I knew the odds were tons better at picnic or Kayak, but I wanted to enjoy my experience while having the chance to catch a few fish. I was able to fan my casts and move around at will. In fact I was the only one on the water for 3 hours. I had a seal swim within 2 feet of me. Scared the crap out of me actually as it swam up because it was coming right at me! Only started to veer away when it was a yard out. I stood perfectly still. They're cute but they're about 120lbs of teeth and claw if they want to be. I had one good hit from a salmon, but that was it. Never saw any rolling. Every once in awhile I would look towards picnic, see the crowds and reconfirm that I made the right decision. I'd do the same thing given the choice.

As to where the salmon where, I'm pretty sure they were hammering that 1/4 mile wide bait ball every seagull in the sound was hittin' straight out from the old pier. I rarely covet a boat, but seeing that made me want one.

9. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    unfortunately, once you're on a boat looking back at the beach, you realize that beach fishing is a joke. the word "joke" is harsh. seriously though, that's how it feels sometimes when you realize the possibilities you could gain with an added 150 feet of casting range.

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Beach fishing rocks actually. What sucks is combat fishing. Avoiding combat fishing may be more tricky while being bound to the beach, but it is possible. And bumber boats \combat boating is defately just as much a joke if you go to many areas (lk wa sockeye, hoodsport chums, pt defiance at times, elliot bay at times, etc etc).

11. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    except for the fact you can't chase fish around and you're at the mercy of being planted on shore?

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I have to agree with Ray. I've met some very cool gear fisherman on the beaches over the past years. The majority of the folks just want to have a good time and catch some fish. Anytime groups of anglers gather as described in this thread, you'll always have a person or two sticks out in the crowd with their behavior.
    Brian

13. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    If you dislike crowds, and who doesn't, don't become a part of one.

There were ok low tides this past week; the same fish that cruise the beach past Picnic Pt are on the beaches all the way to mouth of the Snohomish River. Put your gear in a back pack and find some solitude. I fished Snohomish County shorelines Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning on some small spits of rock and sand and had very pleasant outings casting to rising fish, with no other beach fisherman within a mile of me, except for boaters.

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Why would you need to chase fish around? Oh, because they are moving... that includes moving past the beach where many people intercept them :beer2: But the biggest advantage of beach fishing is being able to hit it at a moments notice - before work, after work, at lunch, etc. No loading up a boat, gassing it up, waiting in line to launch... then repeat to take the boat home. Don't get me wrong, a boat rocks - but you have to have a 1\2 day or more free to really make use of it, and that limits a lot of people.

15. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    HaHa!
    These are the same people who look down their noses at places like Reiter and Blue Creek, funny how that works. I have decided to pass on the Picnic Point opportunity myself, this year, and after reading this entire thread, well....glad I did.

I will be out tomorow AM catching pinks and coho, but not on a beach, and with very few people around too. But what I'm really looking forward to is the action on other species once these salmon have started to spawn and die.

See 'ya on the river.

LB

16. Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

The web killed fly fishing as we knew it. Technology marches on...

17. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

iagree

RIP

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    the web has changed/killed many, many things.

19. seatownbrock

seatownbrock Still in the 206.....

Media:
    I don't know...technology has helped me catch more fish, meet many great people, explore more water, and get more involved with conservation through what I have learned on this internet forum.

20. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    i think what he may have been saying is that through the interwebs, people are going out and catching fish based on easy to get information, rather than the school of hard knocks like has been done over the decades. :confused: