Come seeking advice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +433 / 0
    I am thinking of replacing the line on my Hardy Zenith. I am looking at an 8 wt floater.

I cast an old Sage RP rod 896.

Two things come to mind.
    I might replace the Hardy with the new Sage 4200 8wt reel. and I am looking at the
    Rio fly lines.

I have always used SA lines so I know little or nothing about the others.

Your comments, please.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,682 / 0
    I like my Rio lines. I used them for my Dorado trip to Baja. The customer service is quite good because they are not a large company as is SA. I called Rio and asked them what they'd recommend for the Dorado trip and they were quite knowledgeable and friendly.

I'd go with the Rio.
  3. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I fish rio on all my rods except my 4wt i have SA line on those. But i like rio lines better than SA.
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Now on that old rod and the size of the line weight I am wondering if I should go with the Rio Gold or the Rio Grand. Perhaps Gene's idea of a phone call would be in order.

Thanks guys.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    You are the only one using it so you better be happy with what you buy. You can't take it back because you will have used it. On my old 8wt I used the Rio Vesitip. I was happy with it and it never hinged at the loop to loop connections. I don't believe that I have used any other brand on an 8wt.
  6. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, I have an old shootung head hookup on another spool, but being a malcontent, I got sold on the idea of a new line and perhaps a new reel.

Perhaps when the rubber meets the road, I will have second thoughts but I am intrigued with the Rio lines.
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,687 / 0
    Olive,

The Zenith is a damn fine reel. Why on earth would you replace it? The chances of another reel being as good or better are between slim and none.

Sg
  8. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, nobody said I was smart, Salmo. It is a damn fine reel. And it would be a lot cheaper to just replace the line. But I get crazy ideas some times. I suppose I could just get real crazy and buy a new rod to go with the reel and line. Maybe not.

I do appreciate your comments though.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,682 / 0
    I talked with Jim Vincent (co founder) when I called Rio in Idaho but that was when the lines weren't as well known as they are these days so I don't know how easy it is to talk with the guy nowadays.

If you want to contact them and asked for advise, here's the info:

https://www.rioproducts.com/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks Gene. I have been reading about the two lines that I am interested in but have not made a choice as yet. Hoping to get back on the Sky this winter. That is the reason for my search.
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, I jumped on the phone to Customer Service at RIO. Told them about my situation. Fellow talked me away from both the Gold and the Grand. Started talking about the Steelhead and Salmon line.

So I come once again with hat in hand asking if anyone uses this line and what do you like and dislike about it, if you do.